Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

interesting philosophy

Old 12-29-2005, 08:22 AM

Default RE: interesting philosophy

I see. Pretty cool story, congrats on your deer!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Not everyone is a as blessed as you in seeing deer. I've hunted the local WMA in Florida over 15 times this year. I walk 1 mile off the main trail.I've seen zero deer. I've seen 2 driving in with my truck but none from my stand. I do hear hogs nearly everytime and saw one hog in archery. Yeah..I would of shot the little buck too.
Chuck7
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 AM

people just aren't educated in deer management. it starts with educating hunters. it should be part of hunter ED.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

there is a sign at the place that says 'we don't save horns'. so, the girl checking the deer in says to the guy 'do you want the horns'. the guy says 'no, they aren't big enough'.
To me if they were big enaugh to shoot,
Then they should be big enaugh to save.

That statement ( ' they aren't big enough ' )
Belittles that Buck to the point that
The person shouldn't even be allowed to even go back in the woods.

I would have saved them even if they were a spike
two inchs tall.

People have lost there respect all living things.
To degrade a buck like that is so pitifull.

JMHO
Old 12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

I was at the local butchers the other day and there were, as usual, several folks with deer. I myself was dropping off a doe. there was this real pretty little eight there. honestly, I think it was a yearling, but had a great little, and I mean little, rack. no more than say 8" inside. maybe 90# dressed. my doe dwarfed this thing.

there is a sign at the place that says 'we don't save horns'. so, the girl checking the deer in says to the guy 'do you want the horns'. the guy says 'no, they aren't big enough'.

now I tell you this is not the first time I have heard this. I have passed buck after buck in all three seasons here, and I just do not understand this type of thinking. I KNOW there are a ton of does around here because I have shot 9. so, why not shoot a doe instead? anyone else out there run into this?? I just shake my head every time I think about it.
This is an easy one. Cause some people could care less about horns. They love the kill. One of my best buddies is like this. He doesn't even eat the deer but I get the backstraps and loins so I ain't complaining. He just loves the kill over the challenge of getting a big buck.

We just need to understand we are all out there for different reasons. And another guys is not my business. As long as he doesn't affect me.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

I've saved all my antlers. I've shot a pair of spikes, and deer I would've passed now that I didn't in my younger days. I agree, if they aren't big enough to keep, the deer isn't big enough to shoot. and the thing that further chaps my a$$ is the fact these same folks will say that they passed so many does before this one came by. the conservation club I belong to has a very old mentality when it comes to does. you can shoot them in archery and muzzleloader, but not in rifle. talked to a younger member over there and we both agreed that it is the senior crew there that has it firmed in their heads that shooting does just 'ain't right'.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
bigcountry

I guess I am confused. Why would it do anything to your butt? Its not your deer? Or your clubs?

You got to respect the philosophy of other peoples too don't ya?

Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 AM

hoyt3,
you're better off to shoot the little does rather than the big ones. old does sometimes produce 3 fawns and they have alot better chance with their fawns surviving than young does. i don't shoot the big does if i need meat i shoot the younger ones.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I gotta agree with you on this......if the horns dont mean anything and shooting a doe is legal, shoot the doe. I know in Texas there have been like 30 counties the last few years and 30 more next year that will be under the new antler restrictions just for this reason. It will allow you to shoot a spike and a "good" buck in what is now a 1 buck only county.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 PM

He gave the horns away because there is no law requiring him to keep them

There is no law that states you gotta mount every buck you shoot.

There is no law that states you have to worship and "respect" every dink you kill.

BUT there should be a law for those that SLAM others because they hunt for different reasons or have different values about what it is to hunt!!

That statement ( ' they aren't big enough ' )
Belittles that Buck to the point that
The person shouldn't even be allowed to even go back in the woods.
The arrow or bullet through the lungs - the gutting in the field - the dragging it out with a rope to the head - the strapping to the car - the picture taking - the buthering and all else that is done is belittling enough

Don't you think????????????

throwing away the horns doesn't make or break the "Respect"

I doupt the Darn deer cares at that point[>:]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.