Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

buckseye, then why not hunt trails leading to the planted food crops instead of putting out corn piles? you said yourself that the bait piles are no match for the planted crops and that very few deer even stop and eat. just a question.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:48 AM

I do all the time, most people out here do hunt trails. I use bait piles for all wildlife and photograph the cool stuff when I see it. My favorite for deeris a waterhole by an alfalfa field, they eat get thirsty and always have their head down when drinking.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mountain Cur

I take exception to what Alsheimer and a lot of you others have to say when comparing to baiting to food plots. Its easy to take the high road and say that they aren't the same thing when comparing wether or not either practice is beneficial to deer, but they fail to seperate this from a purely hunting aspect. I fully agree that cornhas basically no nutritional value to a deer other than building fat reserves as compared to a food plot that is high in nutrients and protein, but when you plant that plot for the purpose of hunting, you are planning on killing something are you not, and when that corn pile is placed you are planning on killing something are you not? What about that mock scrape, or scent bombs, surely you're not using them just to view nature, more than likely you are planning on killing something. This goes back to a statement I made in the deer dogging debate, sadly we as a hunting community have glorified the whitetail deer to the point to where hunters are always arguing amongst themselves on issues such as this. Having said all of this, most of you will be surprised at my next statement, I live where baiting is legal, but I would love to see it made illegal for the sole reason that I wouldn't have to buy the stuff anymore and try and keep it out on 9 different stands. I would love to hunt our deer in an environment where they had to fend for themselves and havenatural travel patterns.We have around 400 acres that is surrounded by a club of 10,000 acres and one that is 3,500 acres, within 200 to 400yds of just about any of our stands their is gonna be a cornpile. Bad thing about that though is it could never be properly enforced and we'd still be in the same boat we're in now. But don't sit on your high horse and tell me hunting over a plot or a standing crop field is any better ethically, results wise yeah I gaurantee ya'll have it better!

I agree mountain cur.

oh boy here we go again. there`s a heated thred in the northeast about this also. I`ll say what I said over there. You can sugar coat it anyway you want but planting food plots is to draw deer towards you, same as a corn pile. I know it takes more time to plant then go buy corn from a farmer. Corn might cost more depends on where you get it. I hear the food plots are better for the environment. CORN AND APPLES FEED many animals besides deer. Corn comes from a stalk(planted), apples come from a tree, they both breathe, so it helps with the whole oxygen theory. I just don`t see to many farmers planting clovers, soy or alfalfa fields in NY, but we as hunters can plant them for guess what hunting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would vote yes for Alabama ... mainly because we are loaded with deer and most farmers find them to be a pest ... also it sure makes it tuff for the recreational ( once a week ) hunter to ever get a chance at a deer so baiting would help them put meat in the freezer to..and if you did not want to bait then you would not have to. I see no difference in someone that is lucky enough to have corn or beans planted on the property they hunt and hunting around that VS someone who hunts property where the farmer has nothing plainted and putting bait down ... JMO

dd
Old 12-30-2005, 10:52 AM

I say yes it's not hunting,, its too easy baiting them in, it's like cheating
Old 12-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it makes it too easy. Not only that, it is unnatural. No baiting should not be legal!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM

The only arguement I can buy for this is disease (if it is fact) and taking away from neighboring hunters...

As for it being 'too easy' and for 'cheating', that would include many things besides bait... binoculars, range finders, store-bought scent blockers (making your own is fine by me if we're discussing 'cheating'), store-bought cammo, fancy bows with all of the tricks, trail cameras, scopes on rifles, deer grunt calls (unless it's coming out of your own mouth, not with a store-bought item) and the list goes on... those make hunting easy and if putting out corn is cheating then so are these in my honest opinion...

I don't like sitting and aiming straight down a scendero "at" a feeder... but I also don't mind scouting an area and spreading a good 25 or so pounds of corn in a 100 yard strip...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: GobblerTX

spreading a good 25 or so pounds of corn in a 100 yard strip...
And that doesn't mean 'just' hunting that 100 yard strip, btw... I'll hunt the whole place AND the 100 yard strip...but that strip will help if the deer I wanna take down runs by it, it'll slow him down... that's not cheating, that's my tactic...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM

"too easy" "cheating"

What tha hell. Obviously you guys have never even tried it and are so ignortant to what it is actually like.I am sure that 99.9% of you are just drawing someconclusion from what you've heard. If youaren't I appologize, but for those others get a clue.

Like I said before...yup, when I put corn out, the deer fairy drops deer from the sky. It makes it so easy. Hell, I don't even shoot them anymore. I just make a corn trail to the back of my truck. They jump up there, I get in the truck and ride to the processor while they are eating. Man, it sure cuts down on the money I have to spend onbino's, scopes, high powered rifles, compound bows, multi-edged broad heads, range finders, tree stands, scent lock clothes, scent spray, urine attractants, and what ever else makes hunting "Easier".

Or better yet, why not just put out some jim bean with the corn. I could get them drunk and sit and have a laugh or two with them before I skin them.

lol, you guys are too funny. I have always had pride in myself for not "judging" anything that I have no experince with. I wish some others were that way. [X(]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

It's funny how easy it is to train deer to come into a baitpile....Our deer camp in Northern WI is right next to a guy that baits on his back 40...He told us all he has to do to get them to come in to the baitis clank 2 buckets together....like clockwork five minutes later they come in....granted these are mainly young deer but it is as simple as that...the bigger mature deer still wait until dark to hit the bait. Baiting sucks plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.