Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

ORIGINAL: stillhunt04

CamoCop, Down here we can get wildlife tax exemptions for feeding year round. That's always nifty!

hey stillhunt04, do you get tax exemptions for setting up corn feeders or making food plots?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:11 PM

How else could those Texans kill a deer if we didn't grow corn for them?
Ouch...I'm a little offended...there must be some way to fix this...okay, I've got it. You guys from Indiana can keep your corn, but we'll keep all of our oil, that way we don't let each other "cheat"...haha.

I've also killed a deer without corn, or any bait, also.

And I'm happy to report that I have both of my eyes, and can see out of them pretty well. I hope it stays that way..

CamoCop, we get tax exemptions for corn feeders. Aside from deer season, we only go to the place (about four hundred acres) a few times during the year because we live far from it. We have at least two or three feeders up year round, and we have tanks for deer, turkey, or any animal really, to drink. It helps the deer through some dry times.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I agree with CD, producing 4 times the corn, on 1/6 the amount of land! How can you not be hunting over bait!!???
Because unless you hunt with a howitzer...your guncan't even reach a deer on the "far side of an Indiana bait pile"..!!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stillhunt04

How else could those Texans kill a deer if we didn't grow corn for them?
Ouch...I'm a little offended...there must be some way to fix this...okay, I've got it. You guys from Indiana can keep your corn, but we'll keep all of our oil, that way we don't let each other "cheat"...haha.

I've also killed a deer without corn, or any bait, also.

And I'm happy to report that I have both of my eyes, and can see out of them pretty well. I hope it stays that way..

CamoCop, we get tax exemptions for corn feeders. Aside from deer season, we only go to the place (about four hundred acres) a few times during the year because we live far from it. We have at least two or three feeders up year round, and we have tanks for deer, turkey, or any animal really, to drink. It helps the deer through some dry times.

stillhunt04, i appreciate the feed back. i wasn't trying to slam you, just curious. it seems any state would do frequent check ups on property if they are giving tax exemptions and it seems food plots would be easier to keep track of than feeders. i was just wondering which it was. thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I agree with CD, producing 4 times the corn, on 1/6 the amount of land! How can you not be hunting over bait!!???
Because unless you hunt with a howitzer...your guncan't even reach a deer on the "far side of an Indiana bait pile"..!!
Well, I have never hunted Indiana. I would love to though.I'm pretty sure a lot of people here have never hunted Piney Woods East Texas. But, If I did hunt Indiana, Iowa, or any of the midwest corn states somewhow I can see myself finding some steaming hot trails leading in and out of those "Indiana bait piles."

I'm sure the .270 or even the Marlin could handle the task. I hear them big fat deer make an easy target.

C. Davis
Old 01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I did hunt Indiana, Iowa, or any of the midwest corn states somewhow I can see myself finding some steaming hot trails leading in and out of those "Indiana bait piles."
You mean hunting a travel corridor betweennatural bedding and feeding areas....?

Yes, that isexactly what hunters should be doing!!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see,if I don't hunt like you then I'm "cheating"?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

I see,if I don't hunt like you then I'm "cheating"?
Huh...?

Is there some specific "you" that you are refering to FL? Please fill us in..
Old 01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

FACTS ON BAITING
Disease
[*]
In Michigan, where bovine TB exists in wild deer, scientists believe that the maintenance of bovine TB in white-tailed deer is directly related to supplementalfeeding/baiting and the increased focal densities these practices create. Inhalation of bovine TB bacteria or consumption of feed contaminated with the bacteria from deer coughing and exhalation is much more likely to occur. [*]
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been observed in free-ranging deer and elk in Colorado and Wyoming. Evidence suggests infected deer and elk probably transmit the disease through animal-to-animal contact and/or contamination of food or water sources with saliva, urine and/or feces. This disease has not been reported in the Southeast, however, due to its spread in the western U.S., it remains a potential problem. [*]
A study in Texas revealed that 44% of the deer corn sold for baiting purposes tested positive for excessive levels of aflatoxin, a harmful biological toxin from a fungus which can pose a deadly threat to wildlife, especially avian species (e.g. wild turkeys, quail, and songbirds). [*]
In 1993, a Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS) survey of bait piles in North and South Carolina revealed that over 50% of the bait piles tested contained excessive levels of aflatoxin. [*]
In Georgia in 1997, samples were taken from corn sold as wildlife feed and analyzed for aflatoxins. Ten (10%) of the samples tested positive for aflatoxins. [*]
Other diseases of concern in North America are anthrax, blackleg, brucellosis, hemorrhagic disease, vesicular stomatitis, leptospirosis, listeriosis, demodectic mange, tularemia, anaplasmosis and brainworm. [*]
Although it is difficult to attribute the spread of disease to deer density alone, it is true that some disease problems occur more commonly in areas of high density such as would occur around baited areas. [*]
Animals are attracted to artificial feed in higher densities than would otherwise naturally occur. This attraction to such feed results in more frequent contact among individuals, thereby facilitating the opportunity for disease transmission among individuals. [*]
Ruminants, such as deer, that are exposed to concentrated grain diet (e.g. corn) can suffer from grain overload or lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis can kill them. In Saskatchewan from 1995-2001, 50% of deer submitted each year to the Canadian Wildlife Health Centre were diagnosed as dying from grain overload. Given the small likelihood of finding wild deer that are either dying or recently died from grain overload, it is likely that a number of wild deer that succumb to this disease go undetected. [*]
In Maine, white-tailed deer at feeding stations have suffered from outbreaks of demodectic mange caused by the spread of mites while at feeding stations.

[/ol]
Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 PM

stillhunt04, i appreciate the feed back. i wasn't trying to slam you, just curious.
[quote]ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Ah, no slamming taken! Any thing to help.

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.