Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

JCC, acording to your own definition, "cheating," would be considered camo, decoys, scents! You might go so far as to say compound pullys, and optics, are cheating!
I think that your definition, (which may be straight from the dictionary,) is flawed! Cheating IS breaking the laws!
If you are playing "cards," by the rules, (laws!) How can you be cheating?
Pure and simple: legal= choice, illegal= no choice!
Jagman,

As much as you would like it to "my definition" it is not. It is called a definition because it is the commonly accepted description of the use of a word.
If you think the definition is "flawed", then it becomes an issue of how carefully you personally choose your words.

"considered camo, decoys, scents! You might go so far as to say compound pullys, and optics, are cheating!"

Well if you want to say that Jagman, you have every right, I certainly have said no such thing. In fact despite your insuation to the contrary I never called baiting, cheating either. However if you would like to know the major the reason any reasonable person would not consider any of the above activities cheating all you simply need to do is refer to the definition. Any reasonable person can see that the above mentioned activities do not create an unfair advantage "at the expense of others."
Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

. Any reasonable person can see that the above mentioned activities do not create an unfair advantage "at the expense of others."

JCC, you certainly can say that it is at the expense of others if you are referring to whom you are playing the game against. Is hunting playing the game against the deer? aren't you using the camo, scents, etc to create an unfair advantage for your own interest at the expense of the deer?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope the keep it legal in WV. I enjoy tinkering with my feeder and being able to watch deer all day long while inthe stand. I learna lot by watching them interact.

The feeder I have spreads the corn out, so IMO it is not much different than several deer eating acorns in the same area.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD
to create an unfair advantage for your own interest at the expense of the deer?
If you want to consider "others" to include deer then your refined definition would work for you. (I would not, but of course that is left to a "reasonable persons interpretation")

Just so it is clear Danny,by your definition you are calling baiting "cheating"? Is that correct?

*As has already been stated I thinkbaiting is alot of things, but cheating is the not the first thing to come to my mind to describe it. I am surprised at the length to wich people will go to fight about the what others think about it while simultaneously saying that that are perfectly comforatble doing it.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

No I am not,
I was commenting on your quoting of a definition and what a reasonable person can see. I would consider others in this case to be the deer because that is who we are playing the game against. I am not playing this game against other hunters so I can compare myself to them.
I am following the rules of the game set forth to me against the deer therefore I am not cheating

I am not against baiting where it is legal. In my opinion if you are following the rules you are not cheating.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are we gaining an advantage over the deer by using scents, camo, calls baiting etc . YES
Is it cheating? NO. In my opinion not if it within the rules

However if you take the definition that you have quoted and try to hunt and not "cheat" , You would have to hunt naked with your bare hands.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your argument is a little confusing JC. You are for baiting, right?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

You are for baiting, right?
NO, It is legal where I live in NJ....but I don't use it here. It is Illegal in NY where I grew up and still hunt the majority of my time.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD
You would have to hunt naked with your bare hands.
Maybe you are onto something Danny..
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

JCC,
Talk about scaring off the deer. Geez

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.