Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 01-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

ORIGINAL: aliengoober

Hell no, them deer round my place are so shy they'll never come out without baits!

according to other baiters....i thought baiting did not make it easier?
Old 01-01-2006, 02:25 AM

Enough is enough. I have an idea, if you don't agree with baiting, then don't do it. If you do, then have fun with it. [X(]

Old 01-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

my personal opinion is baiting makes hunting too easy...if you don't believe that then it's fine with me. the only problem i have with baiting is it's effect on other people. if two people own land that that butts up to each other and one baits....it is effecting the other hunter. when it comes to different types of hunting, to each his own BUT it's my opinion that it's wrong to knowingly do something that makes a direct impact on someone else's hunting.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:51 PM

COP.

Do you lease land? Or hunt in a club? Doesn't this have a direct impact on other hunters who can't afford to join a lease or a club. That land could be leased by the state and open to the public if you didn't lease it. Or, it could be like back in the old days when everyone just hunted in the "woods", not on "posted" land. How about food plots? How about farm crops? Does in estrus? Water? Acorns? Vegitation? Hunting pressure? Preditior pressure? All of these things will make deer move to other land.

A deer is going to travel period. I watched two deer this year, all year long. Passed them up several times just to have my neighbor shoot both of them at one time. Its called hunting. Its what happens if you don't have 30,000 acres of land to hunt. I also have pictues of deer that were killed several miles away from where the pic was taken.

My point is that unless you put up high fences there is no way to keep the deer from moving off your land. From what I have seen over my life time of hunting is that deer will walk right through a corn pile and food plots to get to fresh dropped acorns.

We also fertlize our oaks, is that wrong too? Does making the tree have a better crop of acorns make hunting easier?

As far as baiting making hunting easier, (being honest and all argurments to the side), I honestly don't see where it makes it any easier. And honestly don't see the difference in baiting and using bought scents and calls. Or planting a food plot.

A deer is a living creature with a mind of its own. So what may attract one deer, might set the other in high hear in the opposite direction. Even if you bait, they still have their nose, eyes, and eyes. I have never seen deer that were "trained", but I am not going to say it can't be done. Deer are creatures of habbit, just like humans.

Do hunters have a physiological sense that baiting makes hunting easier? Sure. But from MY OWN experinces, I have no proof to back that claim up. If I did, I would admit to it.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS
I assure you that putting out corn doesn't make hunting any easier and sure as hell isn't "cheating".
Yes, the corn may keep the deer wanting to come on my land
Sounds like baiting makes it easier to me...
Old 01-01-2006, 04:14 PM

I guess deer hunters could look down on squirrel hunters for hunting an easier game and turkey hunters could do the same to deer hunters. Bow hunters could look down on gun hunters because its more of a challenge. Then long bow hunters could look down on compound bow hunters because its less primitive. My point is, we are all from different backgrounds and in areas where its both legal and illegal. I see no point in tearing down another hunter just because they don’t do things exactly the way I do. I mean we could all draw the line on 100 different things at many different places. In my opinion, if its legal and you want to use bait, so be it. If I chose not to do it, I don’t look down on another hunter for doing it.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: .44 Cooter

I guess deer hunters could look down on squirrel hunters for hunting an easier game and turkey hunters could do the same to deer hunters. Bow hunters could look down on gun hunters because its more of a challenge. Then long bow hunters could look down on compound bow hunters because its less primitive. My point is, we are all from different backgrounds and in areas where its both legal and illegal. I see no point in tearing down another hunter just because they don’t do things exactly the way I do. I mean we could all draw the line on 100 different things at many different places. In my opinion, if its legal and you want to use bait, so be it. If I chose not to do it, I don’t look down on another hunter for doing it.
And everybody looks down at baiters because they are cheats.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: .44 Cooter

And everybody looks down at baiters because they are cheats.

Not EVERYONE. Maybe just judgmental people like you. Id prefer not to do it, but that’s just me. To a long bow hunter maybe YOU are cheating.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

COP.

Do you lease land? Or hunt in a club? Doesn't this have a direct impact on other hunters who can't afford to join a lease or a club. That land could be leased by the state and open to the public if you didn't lease it. Or, it could be like back in the old days when everyone just hunted in the "woods", not on "posted" land. How about food plots? How about farm crops? Does in estrus? Water? Acorns? Vegitation? Hunting pressure? Preditior pressure? All of these things will make deer move to other land.

A deer is going to travel period. I watched two deer this year, all year long. Passed them up several times just to have my neighbor shoot both of them at one time. Its called hunting. Its what happens if you don't have 30,000 acres of land to hunt. I also have pictues of deer that were killed several miles away from where the pic was taken.

My point is that unless you put up high fences there is no way to keep the deer from moving off your land. From what I have seen over my life time of hunting is that deer will walk right through a corn pile and food plots to get to fresh dropped acorns.

We also fertlize our oaks, is that wrong too? Does making the tree have a better crop of acorns make hunting easier?

As far as baiting making hunting easier, (being honest and all argurments to the side), I honestly don't see where it makes it any easier. And honestly don't see the difference in baiting and using bought scents and calls. Or planting a food plot.

A deer is a living creature with a mind of its own. So what may attract one deer, might set the other in high hear in the opposite direction. Even if you bait, they still have their nose, eyes, and eyes. I have never seen deer that were "trained", but I am not going to say it can't be done. Deer are creatures of habbit, just like humans.

Do hunters have a physiological sense that baiting makes hunting easier? Sure. But from MY OWN experinces, I have no proof to back that claim up. If I did, I would admit to it.

strut, i don't have the luxery of hunting in a club or on a lease. the only hunting i do is on government management area's (public land). i understand both sides of this arguement. i am just saying that when you bait and it effects other hunters, maybe you shouldn't do it. my belief of baiting making it easier is my opinion and i'm not casting judgement on anyone else for doing so. i just don't agree with baiting when it effects someone else. if you are baiting in an area where EVERYONE else baits, have at it...more power to you, just don't bait if it messes someone else's hunting up.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Wow another thread to divide hunters just like the dead deer in public thread. Gotta love the fighting and name calling.[&o]

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.