Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you a hunter?

Old 12-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you a hunter?

born2kill, that is exactly one of my points.....is it still considered hunting or target shooting when your told which one to shoot?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

it just burns my @ss up that these so called "professional hunters" do this kind of hunting and get so much glory for it. they really have nothing to brag about, except maybe a good shot. to me it's no more than target shooting using live animals as targets. i mean these deer are so predictable that they have even named them, it's ridiculous. i would love to kill a B&C whitetail, but i would want to do it my way....by scouting and spending the time in the woods looking for sign...not having a guide sitting beside me and telling me which one to shoot.
C.C. .... understood my friend ...ditto !

dd
Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 AM

it just burns my @ss up that these so called "professional hunters" do this kind of hunting and get so much glory for it.
I was watching a Realtree show or something this morning about the professional whitetail hunters and it had a young girl on there who just got inducted into the club.."Pro's" and I thought to myself..now here's a kid who just got introduced to bow hunting when she married her bow hunter husband..wonder how many yrs. experience in real hunting she's got and they are calling her a professional hunter. It's really all about just going to the areas in the country where it's easiest to kill the biggest dumbest whitetails we got..period.
They are not like real professionals in any sport..who have to hit the fastest hardest throwing pitchers or get out the best hitters..tackle the best runners..etc...it's just the opposite they get their status from hunting the easiest to kill and have all the hunting done for them in most cases they just show up and shoot.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ifly

it just burns my @ss up that these so called "professional hunters" do this kind of hunting and get so much glory for it.
I was watching a Realtree show or something this morning about the professional whitetail hunters and it had a young girl on there who just got inducted into the club.."Pro's" and I thought to myself..now here's a kid who just got introduced to bow hunting when she married her bow hunter husband..wonder how many yrs. experience in real hunting she's got and they are calling her a professional hunter. It's really all about just going to the areas in the country where it's easiest to kill the biggest dumbest whitetails we got..period.
They are not like real professionals in any sport..who have to hit the fastest hardest throwing pitchers or get out the best hitters..tackle the best runners..etc...it's just the opposite they get their status from hunting the easiest to kill and have all the hunting done for them in most cases they just show up and shoot.
IFly I agree with you ... when I think of a "REAL PRO HUNTER" I think of Howard Hill ...Fred Bear ... Ben Pearson ...I thinkthe Wensel brothersare more recent true "Pro Hunters" ... but these guys now days for the most part are obviouly "good shooters" butit would be hard for me to call the "Pro Hunters" from what I have seen even tho they get paid. I have to think that most of the guys on this site that have any experience at all hunting big bucks if put in an area where there are big bucks could be just as successful ... JMHO

dd
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Alright Bubbas, we sound like the Hatfield's and McCoy's!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

don't forget the automatic timed feeders that ensure that the 12 pointer shows up at 6:12AM sharp....but, each to their own...
Old 12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

if these "professional hunters" want any kind of respect from me, they need to come to florida...or any other state for that matter...and hunt a management area (public land). if they can do as we do, take nice bucks off of a management area, then i will quit slam'n them. i don't think it's possible though...i find it hard to believe that jackie bushman even knows what a scrape or rub looks like...lol
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

To each his own but I consider fair chase makes a hunter. Nothing enclosed or baited. Thats just my thoughts.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 PM

I have to agree with CC here, as to the definition of hunting. I think if you ask yourself why someone would want to take this route that it would be easy to make the wrong judgement because I'm sure that some of these people that 'hunt' like this are rookies and don't know where to begin, so they can and do fork out the cash to participate in 'hunting', but regardless of their motive--it is legal, and to each his own within limits of the laws of each state--but it can never be called hunting. Shooting, harvesting, or whatever --its not the same if all you do is pull the trigger. Someone else did the hunting, and/or setting up the kill. IMHO, the kill is the last part of many other aspects of the actual hunt, and it is less of an 'accomplishment ' to take a deer under these kinds of circumstances.Somewhere along the line there needs to be a distinction made here, that keeps the hunt in hunting.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 PM

If you're in a wheelchair for the rest of your life and that's all you've got, you're a hunter...

If you're a little kid and daddy/guide is telling you what to shoot out of the blind you either paid big bucks for etc... then you're gunna be a hunter...

I would say that it doesn't 'make' you a hunter if you do that... However, most of the people that you see who 'do' pay the big bucks are paying for the mount, they're prolly real hunters on their own properties etc...

Quick Reply: Are you a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.