Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to look for game trails??????????

Old 12-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where to look for game trails??????????

new, i have no problem if ya hunt with me....but i don't know when i'm going to be able to get back out there (got a new born in the house). but i will help you any way i can. out of the three management area's you named, i think joe budd is the best. i missed the biggest buck i ever seen there two years ago when the cap to my muzzle loader didn't ignite the powder.

anyway, in those area's there should be hills and revines. in most of those revines are creeks. try walking along those creek bottoms and watch the inclined banks on either side of the creek. when the deer walk down one side and up the other, they should be "scuffing" up the ground. even if there is leaves and pine needles on the ground, you should be able to locate trails.

also, the deer in that area like to rub and scrape in those creek bottoms, look for this. when i hunt up there, i like to try and find where two creeks come together as one. this will be a slightly larger revine than in a single creek. usually accompanied by a small to medium palmetto flat. try looking on the edge of the palmetto flat for rubs and scrapes.

if you find any of this, respond back and i will try to help some more. i love hunting up there, beautiful woods. i;m gonna try to get permits for joe budd for next years hunt. oh by the way, i hunt central florida. if you ever get a chance to come down here, lemme know ahead of time and i will try to get up with you. good luck
Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM

Camocop, thanks alot for the tips, I plan to go out to Joe Budd this Friday and Saturday, I think your defenatly right that JB has the best hunting of any of the managment area's I've been to so far. I'll be going home (south florida) for Christmas break, so Ill be missing most of the Archery season at Joe Budd, when I get back up here around january 8th, the archrey/muzzleloading season starts, so I'm looking forward to that already. Once again thank you for you tips and suggestions, I'll let you know if I'm ever around central florida. Thanks, Chris
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 AM

I have found many rub lines along logging trails and such. 95% of the rubs I see are on cedar trees. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: new2shooting

I've been hunting the appalachicola national forest, talquin and Joe budd.

I've hunted all three of those and even shot ducks and turkeys at Talquin, but the oneI liked the most and hunted for 5yrs was Aucilla and camped at the Fl forestry camp ground in Wakulla County on US98by the NewPort River and then it was taken over by the county.Aucilla isthree counties wide, Wakulla, Jefferson and Taylor. Now thenorth partof the New Port River of Aucillais called Flat Rock WMA and it cost $200 to hunt.
Aucilla is 47,523 Acres. The part I huntedwas the middle of Aucillain Jefferson county.Jefferson county runs from the Georgia line to the Gulf of Mexico.