Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tragic Accident in MA

Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tragic Accident in MA

Heard about this on the news yesterday and did a search for additional info. Originally I figured the guy messed up and had his safety off, but not according to his account of the accident. My sympathies to the family.[/align][/align][/align]Monday, December 05, 2005

By BOB DATZ[/align][/align][email protected] [/align](The Republican)

WARE - "He was my hunting and fishing buddy," Raymond F. Libby Jr. said, temporarily shaking off the shock of his son's death Saturday. "I mean, he always waits for me after work."
Raymond F. Libby III, 10, of 4 East St., was identified yesterday by Hampden Police as the victim of an apparent hunting accident in the woods off Somers Road Saturday morning.
It resulted, his father said, from bad footing as they descended a hill - the man carrying a rifle and the boy a BB gun he liked to tote along.

The fourth-grader had been accompanying his father hunting since the age of 4, his father said. On Saturday he was dressed in blaze orange and following his father back to the stand they had established for deer hunting on privately owned land behind Kibbe's Sawmill, the father said. He continued to describe events, including his own loss of footing.
He slipped twice going down the grade. The first time, young Ray kept up his own pace and therefore passed in front of his father.
"I always kept my safety on and was very cautious," Raymond Libby Jr. said. "He always walked behind me," he added, while his shotgun would be pointed forward. "It was just that one time."
When Raymond Jr. slipped a second time several feet later, the man grabbed a small tree trunk with one hand as he slid, holding his gun in the other. The tree pulled out of the ground, and the elder Libby kept going.
"I was sliding," he said. "That's when the gun went off. It hit some branches. I didn't have my hand on the trigger...
"I jumped up quick and I ran to him before he collapsed."
Libby asked his son if he was hit. His "yes" would be the last word the father would hear him say. He carried the boy at least 200 yards to the area where their truck was parked, where another hunter who heard commotion was also emerging from the woods, Libby said.
It's that hunter who would use his cell phone to notify authorities, who responded quickly and tried to revive the boy. Libby said a surgeon at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield would later tell him it is believed the boy had died before arriving by Life Star helicopter, perhaps even immediately after being wounded. The father had thought the boy was in shock as he rushed him back toward the road.
Raymond Libby Jr. wasn't initially interested in talking when interrupted during a somber Sunday in his apartment on the edge of Ware's downtown where he, his wife Jessica and their 12-year-old daughter Amber were being supported by other family members.
Jessica Libby described Ray's love for baseball, hunting and fishing and the outdoors in general. The skateboard dusted with snow on the porch outside, she confirmed, was also her son's. "He was very hyper, very active, but a lovable boy," she said. "He was one of a kind."
Family members expected the news of his death to hit hard today at Stanley M. Koziol Elementary School, where Ray had spent seven years including preschool.
The father and son were alone at the time of the incident. They had split up from a friend who was also hunting on the 270-acre tract, Libby said yesterday.
Hampden police declined to elaborate on initial statements or provide any details about the apparent accident reported about 9:30 a.m., which remains under investigation by local and state Environmental Police.
Funeral arrangements are to be announced, Jessica Libby said, and are to be handled by Charbonneau Funeral Home, Ware.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Tragic Accident in MA

Thats just terrible. I couldn't even imagine going through somthing like that.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM

That is a sad, sad thing to hear. The family will be in my prayers. That kind of scenario is the only way I could ever imagine giving up hunting. Just don't know how I would react, and I hope that I never have to find out. I firmly believe that hunting (and fishing) is one of the main reasons that my dad and I have stayed so close. He's in his 50s and I'm 32, and even back in my teens when we butted heads over everything else, hunting was always our common ground. The death of a child is always heartbreaking, but if possible, even more so in a situation like this. I will say this, and it's not a critique of the father, but anytime footing is questionable do not depend on the safety. Take the extra 5 seconds to unload the gun.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally I figured the guy messed up and had his safety off, but not according to his account of the accident.
Reading what you have posted that still sounds like the most likely cause.It would not be that unlikely for a branch to pull the trigger but in this case it would have had to disengage the safety first.The odds of that happening in that orderare very low.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go thalf way through and began crying. I have a 7 year old son that enjoys spending time with me when i go hunting, I cant imagine what i woudl be like if that ever happend to me. My thoughts and prayers are with the boy and the family. God Bless them all.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Originally I figured the guy messed up and had his safety off, but not according to his account of the accident.
Reading what you have posted that still sounds like the most likely cause.It would not be that unlikely for a branch to pull the trigger but in this case it would have had to disengage the safety first.The odds of that happening in that orderare very low.

I still remember one of the first things they taught me in my hunters saftey course was to never really on a saftey...its only a mechanical device and can failjust like any other. Its very possible that he could have had the safety on, sometimes things just go wrong.One time a friend of mine had his gun go off as he was loading it. His fingerwas no where near the trigger, but when he chambered a round in his bolt action, when he closed the bolt, the gun went off.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Absolutely the worst case scenario Man I feel for that dad. I just purchased a BB gun for my 10 year old son and envisioned taking him out next year with it.My heart goes out to that family
Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM

terrible accident
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Prayers for the whole family esp. the Dad.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:54 PM

My thoughts and prayers too.

Quick Reply: Tragic Accident in MA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.