Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does full camo really help?

Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Does full camo really help?

I've often wondered how effective full camo is when the regs require orange to be worn in the field. I know that deer are color blind, but the contrast between my hat/vest and the tree behind me or the camo I'm wearing must be significant. Several of my hunting buddies insist that every square inch not covered in orange must be camo, including a face mask or net, but I disagree. Since I used to wear glasses, I couldn't wear face coverings because it would fog my lenses. On clear days I always made sure to put the sun at my back (wind direction permitting) to prevent any glare, and rarely if ever got nailed because the deer saw me. Just this season I bagged my doe while still-hunting, wearing no face camo and otherwise looking like a misplaced traffic cone. At about 40 yards she looked straight at me one time after I got into shooting position, but went on about her business after about 30 seconds. Wearing the same thing during muzzleloader season, I had a small 6-point come within 20 yards while I was standing against a tree (still-hunting again). He looked at me once, never gave any sign that he actually saw me, and then went on his way. Having said all that, what do ya'll think? Does orange make the camo less effective? Also, has anyone tried to "camo" their orange? Just some stuff I thought about in the stand this season.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Does full camo really help?

I have seen others camo their hunter orange. You have to have so many square inches of plain hunter orange in Indiana. You may have been busted by the 6 pointer cause you were sillouited. Did you have cover behind you when he busted you? Just my thoughts. Arrowmaster
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL you have to have 500sq. in. of visible orange on you!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I really don't think that full camo is necassary. I hunt from the ground and wear jeans and a flannel jacket over all my other clothes. I have gotten 3 deer so far this year and 2 of them were within 30 yrds. Some people will say different but if you have decent cover around you, you should be fine. Many of the spots i choose to hunt have little or no cover around them. I just find a big tree to sit against and it seems to work for me. Last year i had a 6pt. walk right up to me to about 15 yrds.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerWhisperer

I really don't think that full camo is necassary. I hunt from the ground and wear jeans and a flannel jacket over all my other clothes. I have gotten 3 deer so far this year and 2 of them were within 30 yrds. Some people will say different but if you have decent cover around you, you should be fine. Many of the spots i choose to hunt have little or no cover around them. I just find a big tree to sit against and it seems to work for me. Last year i had a 6pt. walk right up to me to about 15 yrds.

Agree 100%! Shot these two about 3 hrs apart, see my camo?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: DeerWhisperer

Agree 100%! Shot these two about 3 hrs apart, see my camo?

HEY, THAT LOOKS LIKE ME WHEN I HUNT. except i have a full beard in winter. I don't want my pretty face getting cold.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Rebel you shoud hang them from there back legs. If you hang them from there head the blood runs from the brain and makes the meat taste different.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:02 AM

Actually he never had a clue I was there. I even put the scope on him to see if I could get away with the movement. Good practice. He never turned a hair, and I could've easily taken him. It amazes me just how much movement you can get away with if you're careful and time your movements to theirs.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tut23

Hey Rebel you shoud hang them from there back legs. If you hang them from there head the blood runs from the brain and makes the meat taste different.

Is the blood in the brain different?

Quick Reply: Does full camo really help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.