Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does full camo really help?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does full camo really help?

No blaze orange requirements in Texas....It it stays hot I am going to start hunting in a bathing suit.........

Killed lots of deer in a tshirt and jeans....

-john
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM

I'd like to see the law changed so that orange could be removed once you're in the stand. Of course, this is the state where tattooing is still illegal and 3 point beer is all you can get without going to a liquor store (that's a bottle shop for you yankees).
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Deer are not totally color blind. That is, they do not see things in black and white. What they do have though is a shift in color perception toward the blue end of the spectrum.

As you can see, a human can detect Blaze Orange very well, but deer have a reduced capability. The still can detect it, just not as well.

Interestingly, clothes washed with regular detergent will reflect blue light very well, so if your choice is to go out with a full suit of Blaze washed in a non-brightener detergent or to go out with a super duper camo suit washed in a regular detergent, then your best bet is to go with the Blaze.

Detergents aside, if you wear Blaze Orange, it's much better to wear a camo orange pattern than solid orange. Still safe for humans, but it breaks up the pattern for deer much better. Also, because deer have excellent blue vision, avoid any clothing with solid blue..

One last thing, deer key in on movement. So wearing a solid Blaze outfit while keeping totally still should be more productive than fidgeting around in your earth tone woodland camo.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep! I have posted this before!
The worst thing to do is wash your clothes in Laundry Detergent, cause they havedye enhancements to make your clothes look brighter!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM

Thanks, guys, I've never seen that graphic or heard about deer actually having a "blue shift" in their vision. It answers a question that's bugged me for years. Great info on this board!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunt Ontario | Articles | Through the eyes of a deer - A look at ...

Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

The effect of fluorescent whitening agent on hunter camouflage ...
Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 PM

Read this on deer vision and camo:

http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

I'm not saying it's totally true, but it seems to make sense to me. I firmly believe, like fishing lures, much, if not all camo patterns are marketed for the hunter's eye, not the game's.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno, I am the type to go full camo when Im in the stand (with an orange vest) but my father hunts 200 yrds from me and he wears the tan Carhart bibs and jacket with an orange vest. And deer travel past me and down to my father and dont see either of us.