Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does full camo really help?

Old 12-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Does full camo really help?

I kind of like ghillies or light dress, just so it break up my shape. of course, i did a lot of Military Sim sniping before I started hunting so I'm in to that stealthy mentality. Against other humans with guns i've found out that all you really need is to break up your shape. no major outlines like the Vs of the armpits or crotch. it's kind of funny, i've been able to sneak up on coyote in open tilled fields of eastern washington much more than I should, not that they didn't notice me, just that they don't associate flight or fear with such a strange object as a ghillied, stalking human. must've wondered why that huge amorphous blob was creeping towards them!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Deadeye777

I kind of like ghillies or light dress, just so it break up my shape.

I would be afraid that some yo-yo hunter might want to zero his scope on one of the leaves on my Ghillie suit!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't wear any Camo and never have a problem being seen.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 PM

I don't thinkyoumust have camo to kill deer, butI do think somecancertainly help. I was behind a soldier coming out of the store last night (at dusk) and I swear he just seemed to disappear into the parking lot - he had on that new digital military camo. Very impressive and I can't wait on the surplus sales! I figure if he can fade away on asphalt, it ought to work pretty good in the woods.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

he had on that new digital military camo.
Explain that a little bit more.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:17 PM

I think he's talking about the new Marine camo that was developed using a computer program. It does look like it would be pretty effective.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM

Its not only marine, the army has it too. The camo pattern is made up of tiny little square shapes - like pixels in a digital image. It's interesting. The BDL's themselves are more high tech than the old stuff too. Some soldiers love them, some hate them, as you'd imagine.

The old BDLs in woodland camo are an excellent break up camo with a lot of versitility, imho. I don't like the cotton material, but I like the cut and design of the pants (don't like the shirt). I also have an army goretex parka in woodland camo. It's an excellent quality and design, but like most/all goretex fabrics, it's noisy as he11 when walking through the bushes.

Later I'll post an interesting web site on the vision of deer and camo. I dont' have it and will have to look it up, but it's very interesting and might explode some of the marketing myths behind the (what I call) photo-quality realistic camo.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

When Rambo starts using camo, so will I.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is the "digital camo" they are talking about:

Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

In blaze states I like this kind of setup as long as it fits the 500 square inch rule. It just helps to break up your sillhoutte. Especially if you're in a treestand. Can't say I ever had a problem with standard blaze though.

Quick Reply: Does full camo really help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.