Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead deer in public view???

Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dead deer in public view???

Red,
The hornet's I am talking about are the "Politically opposite opponents." I am sensing that you think the bad guys areall the fellow hunters that are in disagreement on the legislation issue. I say leave the sleeping dog alone, and do as you say, "police ourselves."

C. Davis
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Guys you can candycoat it all you want, call me whatever you want and shoot the messenger all you want. Bottom line is still the same, this practice of no public display obviously isn't being heeded by the rank and file so that is why some of us feel compelled to go the extra step and get the law involved.
Red with all due respect ...from one good ole southern boy to another .... who died and made you boss anyway? You are certinally intitled to YOUR opinion ..but what or wHOgives YOU the right toforce it on the rest of the hunting world ... now if your an elected offical in Tennessee then I suppose you might have an obligation to some ..but as far as I know your not an elected offical ...I think you made your point here...and I think your intent is well taken ...but give it a rest on the Legislation idea ... thats totally out of line ..IMHO.

dd
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fat women in skimpy clothing makes me sick and I get repulsed everytime I see it. Hey Red….while your at it can you hit up congress to pass a law that says fat women cannot wear skimpy clothes? J/K but I see both arguments as trivial and borderlinemoronic!

Dang I tell ya.......you can't escape this stuff anywhere anymore. Let's spend all of our time worrying about everyone else's feelings and conforming our behavior to suit them..............I say somewhere, somehow, this has to stop.

Hunting is what it is. Animals die by our hands and we eat them. Why is showing it for what it truly is a bad thing? Do ya really thing you are fooling anyone by covering it up?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Gus I'm with you on that idea about fat women in bikini's in fact I say go one step farther and make it a FEDERAL law that prohibits the mfgr of ANY swimsuit larger than size 10!!! NOTHING turns me off more than some momma in a suit 4xs to small and her just parading around thinkin she is "all that" and showing all her hail damage too the rest of the suffering world!!! Another thing GUS, by your proposal you are FORCING the issue (dead animals) upon a majority of people who don't care to see such displays. I am NOT talking about appeasing the PETAheads in our society guys. They are as opposed too hunting as we are pro for it. I am talking about NON HUNTERS and obviously some of you guys don't know the difference.

DDeath I think your idea or summation of government is wrong. Elected officials aren't supreme deities who are to be put atop some pedestal and treated like royalty. They are OURS, they work for US (tho I agree, many times you have to wonder if they have forgotten that fact with some of the crap they pull). WE are the decision makers, law makers/breakers and the ones who should pull the chains of change when as we see fit.

I suppose the same guys who drag their deer allover for the public to "enjoy" are also the same guys who walk into the local diner at lunchtime with mud on their boots, dirtying up the floor for someone else to clean? I also suppose you think it's ok to leave that blood smattered on your pants/coveralls and not wash your hands or arms after gutting a deer? These kinds of actions ARE being noticed guys, ignore my warnings if you choose. But sadly it's YOUR actions that are gonna spell the end of it within the next generation or two. CAN'T HAPPEN YOU SAY???

Tell that too the fox hunters in England!!!
RA
Old 11-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

DDeath I think your idea or summation of government is wrong. Elected officials aren't supreme deities who are to be put atop some pedestal and treated like royalty. They are OURS, they work for US (tho I agree, many times you have to wonder if they have forgotten that fact with some of the crap they pull). WE are the decision makers, law makers/breakers and the ones who should pull the chains of change when as we see fit.

RA
Red my point is "if" you were officalelected by a majority in your county or state .. U would be representing the majoritys position ...in this case your voice only represents "YOUR" opinion ..not that its wrong ..but to take it upon yourself to try and legislate a law that would effect may others with a different view is just self serving IMO .

dd
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This one, at 12 pages and growing, is hard to keep
up with. Especially since I have'nt read all the posts.

First, as is my normal opinion, there are ENOUGH laws
on the books already. I don't see the need to increase
the burden on our courts.
That said, I just don'tget displayingon thehighway
or road, open to the elements, grime, exhaust, insects
and uncountable other contaniments what is supposedly
been harvested as FOOD. Not the mention the added
problem when doneon the hood of a vehicle, the
heat from the engine.In all proper meat handling
instructions I'vecome across, keeping the animal cool
and clean has been implied as the very most important
factor. On an open rack behind a vehicle seems almost
as bad, as noted above, because of a continuous stream
of exhaust. I guess the roof or truck bed would be the
least damaging but depending on distance and area still
seem less than ideal. Proper care of the animal after it
is killed seems to me out the window with any transport
where it's not protected.
As for showing what you're proud of, tradition, not bowing
to PC or caring what others may think, none of this, in my
opinion, is worth a chance in a million of not taking proper
care and respect of the kill. Why not cover (to protect not
to hide) your deer and take it where and to who you want to
see it. Be proud of yourself and your accomplishment. But
most important, take good care of it.

God bless & good hunting,
PK
Old 11-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong Red. I agree that common sense should apply and when in Rome and all of that, but I guess I have a different approach to a solution.........in realistic terms.

Educate: The "Non-hunters".....and yes I know the difference between a non hunter and an anti. Rather than using effort/time and resources to have another law that prohibits something, teach/educate and introduce hunting and the benifits to the "non-hunters". I think our efforts and passion for the sport could be focused toward gaining the acceptance of the masses, rather than covering up and hiding what we do. It gives the surface appearance that "we" also think it's wrong to kill deer because we hide the dead animal.

This topic has made me wonder about any other oppressed group that at one time was viewed negitively or indifferent by 80% of the public.

Let's look at homosexuals in America in the late 80's anf throughout the 90's

Do you think they they tried to go "unnoticed"so that otherwers would not be offended?.....For a while.....yes, but did it work for them.......No. They tried to educate the public to gain acceptance so they could live the life they wanted. Guess what.....it worked for the most part.

Now I am not saying that hunting an homosexuality are of the same principals of acceptance, but nevertheless, I think our efforts in gaining acceptance could/should be similar.

I think what you are proposing is a slipery slope.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Educating, or in my own words informing, the non-hunting
public is a good idea. I say informing because most of
them probably have no real desire to be taught anything
about what they have no interest in. Informing by being
noticably good and respectful stewards of the outdoors
is, in my opinion, the best way to keep the general public
from moving against hunting. Along these lines, I don't
believe displaying a dead deer or any other animal is a
good way of informing or educating. There are many
different views of this among hunters. There are and
will be many more among non-hunters, a great number
of whom have no appreciation for it.
Just take care of yourself and the meat. Don't get
wrapped up in displaying what is a trophy to you to
those who probably don't care oneway or another.

God bless & good hunting,
PK
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

This definitely is a heated topic. I have been deer hunting for about 20 years now and I have always either had a truck or an SUV while hunting. MY tailgate is always up and even when I had an SUV, I had a tarp down and the back seat laid down. If you want to get the attention/approval of other people after taking your deer, pull into a gas station and just walk back and look into the bed of your truck. Curiousity of those that are interested will walk back there and look. My neice took an awesome 4x4 with a 17 3/4 inch spread this year and we had the tailgate up and stopped at a gas station for sodas and people just started walking up while we were looking at her buck. All of them offered their congratulations and nobody seemed disgusted with this.

As far as legislation for this, I think that it would be a huge mistake. Why start setting more and more rules for something as miniscule as this? Just have a little class while transporting your "trophy." There's nothing wrong with wanting to show off what you harvested, but you shouldn't have to get everyone's approval of your trophy to feel good about the harvest.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

WOW 12 pages is officially the mark for "topic beat to death".

Next time one of my beloved relatives dies instead of transporting the body in a closed casket and hearst I think we will tie them to the hood of a car and parade around town for awhile. Shouldn't bother anyone should it? If it does to heck with them..... I'll do what I want to anyway.

[:-]

Quick Reply: Dead deer in public view???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.