Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using a deer call can calls when to use them

Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Using a deer call can calls when to use them

I just bought these Estrus Bleat Calls the 3 pack:

http://clientplus.com/hunterspec/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=1440&categoryID=28

This might sound like a dumb question but since I have never done this I just want to make sure. When I use this call should I use it right when shooting time opens in the morning or are these calls for more mid day or late day use? I guess the other question is how far apart should I spread them? I know I should use the large can for trying to get the bucks to me if I do not see them and then use the smaller calls the closer they get to me.

Thanks for any tips on using these. Just after learning duck and goose calls this year I just wanted a simple call for deer. From reading and that I know to try and stop the deer for a shot I just need to make a little grunt of my own.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using a deer call can calls when to use them

Just be careful tostashthe callsin your pocket before the deer gets too close, I've scared one off last bow season because I tried to stash it in my pocket when the deer was getting close and it somehow called in my pocket and scared the deer off. The sound it made was like shaking it up and down.

If you want a softer sound try learning to blow into them. It takes practice but it can give some variety to the normal very loud sounds these calls make.

Using the cans while trying to stop deer for a shot can be difficult. Sometimes there isn't much time to call at the deer and aim and shoot while trying to do something with your can call especially when bow hunting.Just keep thisin mind and you'llbeokay.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using a deer call can calls when to use them

I've used one successfully for the last two years. I don't call unless I can see the buck and he's not going to come past me. When I do call, it's 2-4 short bleats, and shut up. He'll decide whether to investigate or not right away. Calling more doesn't seem to change their mind. The responce is usually obvious. He'll veer your direction immediately. I'd say I get a responce from about one out of three bucks I call to.