Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope mount for 12 ga. that mounts on side of receiver, accuracy problems?

Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope mount for 12 ga. that mounts on side of receiver, accuracy problems?

I've got a 12 ga. Mossberg 500 with a 24" fully rifled barrel with rifle sights. I've seen the mounts advertised that are mounted on the side of the guns reciever. I don't know about other pump shotguns, but the Mossberg pumps have alot of play where the receiver and barrel come together. I would think that you would never be able to sight in a scope with this type of mount. Seems like everytime you took a shot or layed the gun down or anything that casued the barrel to move would put the shot in a differentspot on your target at each shot.Is this the case? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scope mount for 12 ga. that mounts on side of receiver, accuracy problems?

A "lot" of play between the receiver and the barrel shouldn't be there. Are you sure it is common?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope mount for 12 ga. that mounts on side of receiver, accuracy problems?

Every Mossberg I've had in my hands had play in it.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

the only way to mount a scope on a shotgun in my opinion is to have the gun tapped.

THE FOOT