Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do I hunt?

Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why do I hunt?

Was in FL this weekend at a family wedding, There were several family members and friends that I have not seen for a few years. When i was asked what was new with me I metioned that I got into hunting last year with my daughter.

See, all of my family and I are from Western Long Island and NYC ( i now live in West Virginia). The only guns that we have seen were not used for hunting. So everytime I mentioned that I was now hunting I was asked with a shocked look"WHY?"

The actual answer is because last year, my then 12 year old daughter, asked me if she could go hunting with her friend. I decided it was something that we should learn together before I said yes or no. Now, I love hunting and me and my daughter spend countless hours together shooting at the range, hunting etc. Those are the reasons I hunt.

Of course most of them felt that I should have found an alternative to hunting to spend time with her, blah, blah, blah

The other question that invariably came up was what purpose does hunting serve ? These purposes, I can not truly say were why "I" got into hunting. But I would like to be able to answer those that question why hunting is good.

So, My question is how to answer those who ask why it is good to hunt animals especially whitetail deer

Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Why do I hunt?

I have found that no matter how eloquent you are, you can't make a nonhunter or antihunter understandwhy we hunt. Some things simply cannot be articulated.

Unless they get out there and try it, they won't understand.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

The actual answer is because last year, my then 12 year old daughter, asked me if she could go hunting with her friend. I decided it was something that we should learn together before I said yes or no. Now, I love hunting and me and my daughter spend countless hours together shooting at the range, hunting etc. Those are the reasons I hunt.
Danny-
this is the only answer you need. This is what hunting is all about. great job of being a dad.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

No one has to explain why they enjoy golf. I mean come on, hitting a stupid ball around for hours on end, how fun could that be?

But to help you out, its because you and your daughter enjoy it and can spend time together doing it. Its the adreniline rush when you see a deer. It's healthy food for your table. It's helping to control populations that would go overboard. It'san inner place that you have opened up and enjoy. NOthing more needs to be said.
Best of luck to you

Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Just tell them that "It brings me closer to the true essence of life and in touch with my primitive origins. I actually feel that the karma of the animal is transfered to me as I participate in nature's perfect cycle."

Now seriously, it amazes me how some people will radically support evolutionary theory, insisting that man is no more than another animal on the planet and then question why we hunt. Or, how they will idealize a primitive culture, send money to organizations that preserve their way of life and then question why we hunt.

The contradiction really stupifies me.

In reality we all hunt for many different reasons and unfortunately for some of us it is just a sense of power and ego. I'm sorry for those people and am glad they are in the minority.

One thing I would suggest is that you pick up the book "A Hunter's Heart". It's a collection of essays on the same topic, by both hunters and non-hunters. There are some great thoughts and stories in the collection.

I've ranted enough.

Spud
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bhammer

Danny-
this is the only answer you need. This is what hunting is all about. great job of being a dad.

DITTO...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Was in FL this weekend at a family wedding, There were several family members and friends that I have not seen for a few years. When i was asked what was new with me I metioned that I got into hunting last year with my daughter.

See, all of my family and I are from Western Long Island and NYC ( i now live in West Virginia). The only guns that we have seen were not used for hunting. So everytime I mentioned that I was now hunting I was asked with a shocked look"WHY?"

Of course most of them felt that I should have found an alternative to hunting to spend time with her, blah, blah, blah

The other question that invariably came up was what purpose does hunting serve ? These purposes, I can not truly say were why "I" got into hunting. But I would like to be able to answer those that question why hunting is good.

So, My question is how to answer those who ask why it is good to hunt animals especially whitetail deer
It dont matter if they understand it just matters if you like to do it or not thats it.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that i think about it more. Even if I knew of many ecological, economical, etc, reasons for hunting the bottom line is they is not the reasons I hunt.

I know I don't go out there with my 13 year old daughter thinking that I hope I get a deer today so it doeesn't starve this winter. Maybe that's a good reason to hunt but it's not what got me out there.

I got out there because I want to spend time with her and I love the art of hunting.

But it's not the touchdown that's greater than the game. Meaning it's not just the killing of the deer. It's the choosing the rifle to buy, the caliber to hunt with, choosing the right clothing, the practice, finding a property to hunt, the art of finding a location for the blind, stalking the deer, steadying myself to make the shot or coaching my daughter on the shot. It's all of that, "the game" not the touchdown
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Because we can and millions have sacrificed greatly so that "WE" can make our own decisions and enjoy the freedom doing so. This is who we are and anexplanation sometimes is not needed nor required if it falls upon ears that only hear what they want to. I have had these converations many times over the years and found out that by simply asking if they have the time and are willing to listen, come out with me and experiance it first hand, then and only thenmake on honest decision based on the experience and not what someone has told them. I agree this is not for everyone but that is what makes the world go around and it sure is nice to have the freedom to decide what you would like to do during your spare time!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

As others already said, hunting helps deer populations and puts meat on the table

Quick Reply: Why do I hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.