Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Transportation Questions/Opinions

Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Deer Transportation Questions/Opinions

Hey everyone,
I'm really new to this site, and new to deer hunting in general but very interested! I have all the equipment and licenses for deer hunting (including the NJ hunting training course). It seems however I might have a rather large problem. I don't have a truck. Is there anyway to transport a deer (keep in mind there not real monster sized here in NJ) with a mid-sized car? It might be too gruesome, but can I put a deer in the trunk if I wrap it in a tarp? Could I put it on the roof (I would also wrap and secure it with a tarp)? Is there a small hitch maybe I could buy? I dont wanna have to buy a another vehicle solely for hunting, especially because I don't have a lot of money. Please give me some advice/input either by post or you can email me at [email protected]

BTW my car is an all wheel drive subaru so I'm not to concered with dirt roads, etc

Sincerely,
Steve

CN: can I check/ bring home a deer in or on a mid-sized sedan?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Transportation Questions/Opinions

If you can get the deer in the trunk, I would get a roll of the giant size plastic bags and slide the deer into one. Be sure to remove it from the bag once you get home with it though, and to make the trip as quick as possible.. Welcome to the board.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know alot of people who use cars for hunting and when they shoot a deer they lay a large tarp in the trunk and put the deer in then kinda pull the rest of the tarp over it to make a big bag so nothing leaks out and it works well. Seen it done many a times. And ive seen them strapped to the trunk lid as well which I think is better then the roof its a smaller surface area so theres less chance of denting then the roof and its not as high of a lift. Good luck this season!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like said throw down some plastic or a tarp and put it in the trunk or hatch.

If you don't want to fuss with it inside you can try locating one of these, hitch haulers. I know of a people who use them on minivans, SUVs for various uses( some include hauling back deer).

Old 11-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Thanks for your help guys! Looks like I'll try the tarp in trunk idea. Happy hunting
Steve
Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

a tarp in the trunk ,I do it.No problems.If you put a deeer on the roof in jersey by the time you gey home you will have a dozen peta yuppies chasing you
Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about buying a deer game bag? They make game bags that can hold an entire deer. Much easier than a bulky tarp. Should be cheaper $$than a hitch attachment.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

a tarp in the trunk ,I do it.No problems.If you put a deeer on the roof in jersey by the time you gey home you will have a dozen peta yuppies chasing you
my thoughts exactly....you don't want to give them any ammo if you can avoid it....go with the tarp...best of luck and welcome to hnet.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:25 AM

We take my car when we go. Sometime we wrap the deer in tarp and bring it home, but most of the time (we process our own meat) what we do is skin it, field dress it and quarter it, put the parts we do not want in a big trach bag and put the rest in a cooler on ice. This works really well for us. I am not sure if you take your deer to a processor if they want the whole deer or what as we have always processed our own.

I belive it is illegal in my sate to show any signs of a deer being killed, like hauling on a hitch or something. we have used those deer bags before they were great. I think I got one at walmst and it was between 5-10.00

Kim
Old 11-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

this is what I use to move deer around !!!

Quick Reply: Deer Transportation Questions/Opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.