Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

leaving stand not spooking deer

Old 11-03-2005, 11:58 AM

Default leaving stand not spooking deer

I sat in my stand last night for an extra 30mins waiting for the deer to clear the area. I still ran a couple off. Anybody got any ideas in this situation. I usually only get out there every couple days so its not like they are pressured heavy but I saw a decent buck and I didnt want to spook it so he doesnt come back around.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: leaving stand not spooking deer

Hell be back, may take a day or two but they always come back.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM

bring a slingshot or throw some small stones near them , they have no idea what it was and wont associate human and that location, it works for me
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the rocks, and slingshot idea. I have not found spooking deer at night to be a problem. As long as they don't see you, or smell you, deer are always being spooked. Dead limbs falling from trees, coons, armadillos, you name it! They will be back!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

If possible have someone drive close to your stand so the deer move for that reason, not because of anything you do.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:27 AM

this happened to me last night. i had one little one come out on me with about 15 mins left to hunt. i figured maybe something bigger will come out. well 4 more came out about 5 mins after legal time ended. 2 of them had some nice size but it was just dark enough that i could not tell if they had any antlers. so i waited till i could barely see them in my binoc's and i started to get out of my blind. just then i hard a crack somewhere down near them. i took a look and they were gone. man what a rush, that was a first for me and it was the most deer that i have seen on this land at one time since i started hunting it.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

My nephew uses this method when leaving a stand with deer in the field. I walks the edge on the field and stops everytime the deer stop feeding or stomp their feet. When they go back to feeding, he continues walking. Bend at the waist and go slow.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 PM

I had4 does under me this evening! I was thinking the same thing. There was no buck with them(to warm)and I waited a little longer for them to move on. They still spooked but didn't go very far. I'm hopeing another buck moves into the area, I shot the dominant during bow season.