Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

went turkey hunting...

Old 11-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default went turkey hunting...

yesterday (nov 2nd) i went fall turkey hunting in a state game lands me and dad hunt...our spot is about 2 miles back.....and we know a good bit of the land all around....so i decided to make a giant loop through the game lands since it was wet and i could be sneaky...and it was wed....barely anyone hunted is since saturday...hoping to catch a flock of birds......moved through alot of good hardwoods...bottoms...ridges...flats..points ect...dad taught me on my first ever hunt(squirrel hunt) when the ground is wet and its calm out thats a prefect time for "snoopin n poopin" as we call it...or basically still hunting with a tad bit of speed....my loop took me about 4 hours...and i barely stopped....took a break twice i think for maybe 10 mins each...and i wasnt actually hands and knees still hunting..the ground was soaked...so i moved at a good speed....well..oct 16th and 19th i was in the same area and coverd a good bit of the ground just going and coming from my spot....it was a muzzleloader doe season...well i didnt see as much as a deer tail.......and not much sign...we are having a major herd reduction the last few years and thought maybe alot been taken out.....yesterday i couldnt believe my eyes.....i lost count of deer.....well over 10....pretty dang good not lookin for them! lol.....snuck up on many that i could have easily taken if i was hunting them.....had one doe charge down a grass trail straight at me.....had a buck cross a grass trail infront of me...kicked a bunch out of thickets....didnt really spook them.....they just snuck out of the thickets and i caught glimpses of them.....and one buck was on a ridge below me on an oak flat..i thought it might be a turkey walking...i was sitting waiting for squirrels or turkeys after my 4hr walk...gave it a couple minutes and peaked over to see.....it turned out to be a buck....and a foolish one.....stood up and looked at me for a good 30seconds...long enough for me to pull out the digi cam and "shoot" him lol......i got 4 pics of him.....i could sworn he had 4 on one side when he got up but didnt get the best pics....hard to get a good pic of something in brush at 30yds standing freehand full zoom....he was in a clearing bedded in some boulders when he first stood up...but when i got pics he was in brush......can anyone count points?? has decint mass....not tooth picks.....not a monster or even a shooter in most other states..but it would make a nice3rd buck for me if he has 4 legal points on a side....ill try to post a pic or 2....dont get your hopes up....honestly....hes probably a decint 1.5yr old 6...maybbbe an 8....i cant tell in the pics...maybe some of you guys can...or got software that can....what a diffrence a nice day can make...versus the 2 days i hunted dawn till 11 or noon on gusty windy days.......

Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: went turkey hunting...

sorry for the blurry pics....i forgot to mention....this state game lands is hunted heavy....and he was no more then 200yds from a major parking lot...any able to make out points...i got a side view coming too.....i had to crop the pics to make them fit...and tried to sharpen them up but im no expert....just curious as to if he may be legal....for around here he has a decint mass the whole way out it looks like...and decint brown for here too.....and not bad spread for being young...whats the spread look like? 12-14?? hope you guys like the pics.....im no pro....but i loved taking pics of all these deer yesterday....got a few nice rubs...scrapes...and 2 or 3 doe pics if you guys want them.....let me know how u guys like my photography lol

Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

heres a side view....but some branches in the way...

Old 11-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry for the blurryness and brush in the way......they arent that blurry on my PC.....but them are the 3 decint pics i got.....the other one is worse....i need a tripod or something! lol.....or a faster camera.......im trying to get a digi cam of my own for xmas...i use my moms now....maybe ill get a better one...i enjoy taking pics....