Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Old 10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Stumble or anyone else what do you think of the Leupold Euro 3x9x50?

DD
DD, I have the 3-9 x 50 mm Leupold Euro and hadn’t seen much of an advantage over the 3-9 x 50 mm VXII that I had for a short while. Don’t let the 30 mm tube fool you. It has the same parts on the inside as the regular 1” tube, just a bigger tube for the european market. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice scope and works well but personally I would go with the Conquest.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also remember the Leupy is a....3.3-9.5x50mm
Which is why I compare it to the 3x9 conquest.

As for the leupold30mm tube,Trailer is 100% correct that the internals are 1".As I stated before,I will not have a 50mm scope.I actually have swarovski 3x10x42mm scopes on my rifles that are every bit as bright as the leupold vxiii 3.5x10x40 scope.The 3x9x40 conquest is virtually as bright as the leupold 50mm scopes.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trailer

Stumble or anyone elsewhat do you think of the Leupold Euro 3x9x50?

DD
DD, I have the 3-9 x 50 mm Leupold Euro and hadn’t seen much of an advantage over the 3-9 x 50 mm VXII that I had for a short while. Don’t let the 30 mm tube foul you. It has the same parts on the inside as the regular 1” tube, just a bigger tube for the european market. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice scope and works well but personally I would go with the Conquest.
Trailer do you mind me asking what you paid for your Euro?

DD
Old 10-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

DD, go to www.opticstalk.com and on the left side of the page at the bottom they have an online store with pricing that seem to be very comparable. Theyhave a low price deal you can ask Chris about. Lots of very scope savy people on there too.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trailer do you mind me asking what you paid for your Euro?
No problem at all DD. I purchased my Leupold Euro 3 years ago when the Canadian dollars was very low. The going price was $829.99 but since then the dollar has gotten stronger and this same scope is now going for $694.99 Canadian of course. At the time when I purchase my scope the Euro was not available to US customers for one reason or another. I’ve used this scope for 2 seasons and was very happy with it’s performance in low light conditions compared to my old 4x Redfield I had been using for years.

I just wanted to add that I‘ve compared my Euro to my 1.5-6 x 42 mm Nikon Gold with the 30 mm tube and found that the Nikon was allot clearer with a crisper image then the Euro. The Nikon is a little heavier but the optics are definitely brighter. I had brought these two scopes to work and had some of my co-workers check them out and we all came to the same conclusion that the Nikon was superior in optics between these 2 models. So even thought the Euro has a larger obj. lens, the Nikon with the smaller lens and better coating out performed the Euro. I hope I was able to help in one way or another. Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shoot Leupold’s since the late 60’s and have never been disappointed with my choice. All are Vari X III’s with the exception of 1 Mark 4 and 2 LPS. Only one scope was sent back to the Leupold shop and that was to replace the duplex reticle for a mil dot.