Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

I was a ritilin kid most of my life and I have problems sitting still for an hour but I try to sit as long as I can which is usually only a few hours, I try different things to keep me still I eat alot of beef jerky and talk to my self alot.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Well I'm 51 and still haven't grown up yet and hope I never will. I used to be able to sit longer than I can now 3 hrs is about it for me and even then I sit I stand I sit I stand can't help it my bumm gets sore then my legs. and then after 3 hrs I get bored with the whole thing. I have anddo take some nice deer but I always wonder if the nicest of them all has slipped away cause I don't stay on my deer stand longer.
I'm exactly in the same boat although I'm your elder (by a year!). I know it's not the best, but I bring a book to read. I don't read it constantly, but it does help me overcome the boredom and makes me less fidgety. I read and listen intently while I do. I also do a total careful visual scan every page, so it's probably not a serious detriment. A huge majority of the deer I've shot have been heard before seen (fall, thick woods, leaves are down)... but that could just be because I'm not a great hunter and just don't see the quiet ones.

My experience tree stand hunting is that I see most deer within 3 hours of sunrise (maybe because that's when I'm stillest?). Second most - just after sunset, if I'm lucky it's still light enough to shoot, but rarely. Third: mid day, but walking, or mid-day when others are walking around and I'm still in the stand. Therefore, mentally, it's easiest for me to be dead still and quiet for a couple hours after daylight and the last couple hours of the shooting day.

My other problem is falling asleep. This isn't just hunting. Anytime I sit, whether it be at a movie, play, tv at home, airplane, I tend to do the 10-20 minute powernap thing. I can't help it. Wonder how many big ones paused to listen to me snoring?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 AM

I cant say that is a problem. How badly do you want a deer? Drink hevily when you are in the treestand. You'll prob fall asleep and fall to the groud but after that you wont move much at all.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: gkellys

Geat time to get into the Word, while observing God's creation in iit's finest. Heaven on earth and you don't wonder if you wasted time if you don't see ant deer.
To me, it's a great time to sit and think about how the diversity of the natural world has evolved over millions of years, to think about the logic and biology behind the incredible adaptations that various plants and animals have made, and to contemplate the physics that help to explain the origins of the universe. The natural world is amazing to observe and think about.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:25 PM

That would be me. Im good for about 2 minutes.Haha.this is me to my dad all the time . Haha
Old 10-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I like to move, and got my first deer still hunting. However, I have scared off many this way. But it does not matter too much to me if I get a deer.. the main thing is spending time in the woods, and with a gun in my hand
Anyway, I got my first deer of the season from my stand already.. so the rest of the season I will probably move around more.
Also, the more scouting you do, the better you can find the right spot to hunt. That way I can go to that spot for a few hours on an evening hunt when I get the chance. I hunt public land so after a few weeks into the season they tend to sit tight.. and you sometimes have to go in after them.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

After 3 different back injuries it hurts to sit or for that matter stand in one position for very long. I just keep thinking a deer is about to come in. Doesn't help much but just enough to keep myself on stand
Old 10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have problems just sitting there with nothing happening. i'm used to turkey hunting where i move and move to the birds but not just sitting for hours on end without anything to hold my attention. i'm just fine if i have something to keep myself interested. if there are deer out i'm fine(well except for my heart beating out of my chest). i like seeing animals like squirrels and stuff too. they're pretty entertaining. i can go a few hours without doing anything but it's tough. i would have a hard time sitting on stand all day if nothing was happening.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:38 PM

not me, i can sit til the cow come home
Old 10-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man some of you guys would never make it hunting in Canada .. you have to sit 11 to 12 hrs a day ..everyday ...in sub freezing conditions ... it gets tuff ... of course time flies when your snoozing :&gt)

ROLL TIDE
DD

Quick Reply: Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.