Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cow Horn, Spike Horn?

Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cow Horn, Spike Horn?

This might be a stupid question, but is there a difference? I heard that once a cow horn always a cow horn. I just need a littlehelp on this. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cow Horn, Spike Horn?

Basically the same thing. Cow horn has a little curve in the antler. Both of them are young bucks a high percentage of the time. Just need some time usually to make a nice buck.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cows dont shed antlers deer do.....lol
Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I use to harvest spikes from my deer population, before Missouri passed it's "four on one side" rule, of course I'm trying to let the deer on my farm the have decent racks do the breeding and elminate all the scrub racks so I stop seeing little basket rack six points that are four or five years old. But now I have to let them go. And hope they turn out to be decent deer in the end.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no difference between a "cow horn" spike, and any other spike bucks."Cow horn" is just a reference to the spikes shape.
I saw a cow horn a couple of years ago. It's antlers were at least 10 inches long, and wereperfectly curved as horns.
As far as spikes go, most of them are just young deer, that may be better bucks with time and nutrition. In looking at bucks, their body size, and the shape of their bodies and heads tell you much more about their ages, than the antlers do! In the case of the cow horn that I saw, he was as bigas any buck that I've seen in that area. He even had the classic "pot belly" of an older buck, and even though I did not shoot him, he was obviously a cull!