Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you take a chew in the woods? Experiences?

Old 10-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you take a chew in the woods? Experiences?

I also dip Kodiak in the stand, spit right down side of tree. I've killed alot of deer with a big ole dip in put it does make ya wonder if that big bruiser is standing out there getting a whif and walking the other way? This is my 1st year bow hunting and that damn face mask is putting a cramp on my SPITTEN ! LOL
Old 10-04-2002, 09:39 PM

Every animal that I have ever killed except my Elk, I have had a pinch of skoal in. The only reason I wasn't chewing when I shot my Elk was that it all happened too fast. Deer, Bear, and a host of small game can't be wrong.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

First deer I ever killed was leaning over smelling where I had spit mint dip.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kill and see as many deer with dip in as my friends do without. I take a small plastic bottle with me, and dip every few hours. I also carry a water bottle I can rinse with, and an apple to take a bite out of to help out with my breath.

There is nothing like a big old pinch in as it starts to get light in the morning approaching prime time! Just don't spit often, and be sure you are aware if any deer are nearby!

I did the classic "maaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnkkkk" to stop a deer 12 yards away walking while my whole mouth was filled with spit in a public hunting area. I almost swallowed a mouthful, but got him nevertheless.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM

If I had to sit in a tree with no cope, I wouldn't last an hour, nuff said I guess

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I usually chew Redman Gold and have shot many a deer with a nice wad in my mouth. I spit down the backside of the tree or onto adhacent limbs and haev NEVER seen a deer notice the chew. I hunted a place in ILL and the guy said that chewing was not allowed as it spooked deer. I said alright and then put a chew in when the guy left--shot a nice 9 point about 3 hours later!

PS

I'm trying to breal the habit but havent been out in the woods yet this year so who knows?

Bob

Looking at the world from 15 feet up.