Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fatal shot?

Old 10-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fatal shot?

30yds how much error can there be...if you have a good solid rest and know your gun and have it dead on at 30 yds and thats where the shot is presented i would put a bullet in that deers head if i didnt want it to move...i would try neck but i dont kno where the kill zone is there...but if you arent a great shot with the rifle i wouldnt shoot such a small target...go lungs and heart area if you can hit the bottom of a pop can every shot at 30 yds with your gun in your shooting position...

Old 10-02-2002, 05:17 PM

I thank you all for the responces,
it sounds like the heart is the most commen target,but also it meanes the bulet should go through the sholder bone!
thanks again
Old 10-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

If you can hit a deer's brain at 30 yards with a rest you need to practice some more. It's not very hard and you will lose no meat at all. With any other shot you going to lose meat except if the deer is broadside and you shoot it straight through the lungs. If you shoot it in the shoulder you may lose the whole shoulder at 30 yards, and if you shoot it in the heart you won't have any heart left. They heart is the best tasting part of the deer to me.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>If you can hit a deer's brain at 30 yards with a rest you need to practice some more. It's not very hard and you will lose no meat at all. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I'll assume that you were saying that if I can't hit a deer's brain at 30 yds... Where exactly on the ol' boney noggin do you suggest that I aim? I'd hate for the bullet to deflect off of an antler or the skull and then I'd really be mad at myself, nevermind the fact that I took an irresponsible shot and probably maimed a deer that will run for miles and die and I might never find. BTW keep in mind that my scoped gun is sighted in for a 100 yd shot. Sounds like someone needs some more experience along with all the practice. This isn't punching holes in a paper target.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

If you shoot a deer through the shoulder at 30 yds. with a 30-30, you're not gonna have much deer left for eating.

I'd shoot for the lungs, and use a 150 gr. bullet. The 150 gr. will have more velocity than a 170, and therefor will deliver more hydrostatic shock, dump more energy on target, and expand quicker, creating a larger wound channel. Most often, at 30 yds., he'll fall right over. But if he doesn't, he won't go far b/c his lungs will turn to jelly, and he'll be dumping buckets of blood (probably no more than 15 yds. or so).

Shooting a deer with a 30-30 at 30 yds. through the shoulder will definately anchor him, but you'll lose all the meat on that shoulder, and quite possibly the other one too, if the bullet hits it as well.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Toons please listen to the older more levl heads here and do not even think about a head or a spine shot.

I shot a buck last year with a 30-30 150 grain cor-lok, the shot hit about an 3 inches above the elbow and about 3 inches back. The hole in was the size of my pinky, the hole out was almost big enough to put my fist in. The buck was knocked flat and never even kicked! When I field dressed him bith lungs were mush and all the artieries to the heart were blown clear off. The only meat wasted was a little bit around the ribs.

Another knock down shot for sure is through both shoulders, but you will lose a lot of meat.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

shoot a high double lung shot right behind the shoulder and just below the spine will fall over and won't flinch 30/30 or 50 cal front stuffer
Old 10-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off why does he have to drop on the spot? Something I have never understood, i hunt some knarly bush and if a deer makes it 50 yards, it's no big deal, you take out his H/L and he's down and quick. Lungs plain and simple, big target and can't go far when they can't breath.

For the brain/ head shooters, if you have a monster buck and shot it in the head...bust the skull, nock a main beam off...no score. Oh score doesn't matter, still get him mounted...true...but while your hanging it on the wall make sure to put a sign that says don't do this!!!! Not to mention the margin of error and possible suffering that can be caused.

When a new deer hunter is calling on your experience, please remember to think before you put your foot in it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2002, 06:38 AM

for me,I always try for the ribs.some time we all get a shot that is not broad side ribs.but that is where you have to decide if you want to take the shot.
Last year I took a neck shot with my M/L at about 15' no problem there. 30 yards with any gun,I would say ribs.just above and behind the elbow.
just my 2 cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: Fatal shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.