Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

Old 10-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

Depending upon the stand I will stay in it the whole day, however if I have a hot spot for the morning I will sit there until about 2 hours after sunrise and then move to another stand for the rest of the day. This year is a prime example, I have a stand I plan on hunting for the first 2-3 hours after daybreak that is in a treeline, then I will move down the treeline and cross a small creek where there is a large stand of oak trees with a ton of mast that is also a funnel area between the river and 4 fields. This spot will definantly pay off during even the mid day when the deer like to stay out of the fields and munch on some mast and even better when the rut is on and the bucks will be on the prowl. I may even just hunt this stand all day sometimes.

I have always been of the opinion that you can not kill a deer if you are not there.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-02-2002, 01:09 PM

Yep its worth it, the 2 best bucks my group has ever taken were between 11 and 1.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:34 PM

to me the first three hours are a waste of time.i have never seen a shooter buck during that time,so there is a lot of days i will sleep in and go out about 10 and spend the rest of the day between 12 and 3 are my hot times about 70 percent of my bucks come from that time must be where i set up and different things like that.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Late pre-pre rut and full rut all day. Like many have said I have seen and taken my biggest deer during this time of year between 10-3PM. Early in the year I tend to hunt evenings only, as the nights get longer and days shorter morning and evening...till finally all mayhem breaks loose in the woods, I stay out all day. However due to our wind always changing sitting in one location, usually doesn't happen very often but I will cont. to hunt with the wind to my favour.

I also suffer from hunter creep, it can sometimes pretty cool out here, so stay motionless is a hard task...a walk is needed to get the blood pumping to sit for another 3 hours.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:07 AM

4 hours is the most for me so far. I just start to get real fidgity and my butt falls asleap. Towards the end my mind wonders a lot since I get very bored. I'm trying to stay up longer by reading but I don't think an all day sit is possible at this point.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I stayed in a tree 10 straight hours my old bones couldn't climb down..........