Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoculars

Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default Binoculars

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but....

For deer hunting the northeast and some in midwest such as Ohio, what magnification of binoculars would be best to consider? I was told that 8x is better than 10x as the 10's are so high that its hard to hold steady when peering into brush/woods etc. I considered zoom style but that jumps the price up and I wonder if its worth it? I was looking to get one pair to use while doing my hunting. I have a larger pair for watching fields from the vehicle in the summer time.

I guess on the same topic, what about objective lens size? I was thinking 40-42?

Thanks again for any input!!

D
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Binoculars

dta, the US Navy and the US Coast Guard use 7x50.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

8X42 work great in the N-E...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM

go to a web site www. eabrown. com or look it up with jeeves , its a gun store , they sell swift scopes they have a 8 power binocular by swwift for sale 39.00 , i use swift scopes , i will bet these binocs are great
Old 09-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a pair of Zeiss Conquest 12x45's. I like high powered scopes and thought I would try higher powered binoculars than 8x or 10x. I don't know what is necessarily best, but I am going to give these a try.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Typical Buck

Don't buy the zoom binos! I bought them back when I was about 14 and "knew everything" despitean experienced huntertelling me to buy some 10x50's. Granted my zooms were cheap Bushnells but when you get up to the higher power it's way too unsteady to get a good look at the game. Anyways, I dropped them in a dry creek bed 2 years ago and got dirt/sand/silt particles into the gears and they hadn't worked very well since then. This past winter I ponied up the money and bought some Nikon Monarch 10x42 porro prisms and they are the best damn binos I've had/seen. I know there's much better brands out there but nobody I hunt with has the money to buy Swarvoskis, Leica, etc (me included)but they're all jealous....even though they're not that pricey. Get some decent power binos that are lighweight and you'll be happy!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do a quick search in the hunting gear forum. There have been some excellent threads in there on binos in the past 6 months or so.

My personal preference for an all around bino would be an 8x42. 8x generally provides sufficient magnification without making it too difficult to hold steady....plus you generally get a wider and brighter image (compared to a 10X). The 40-42 mm also is a good choice because it, again, gives you a brighter image than smaller sizes while not being too big and cumbersome. Also, the larger the objective the better the resolution assuming similar quality levels are being considered.

What price range are we talking about?

Under $250 I would consider the Bushnell Excursion, Carson XM, etc...

Between $300 and $400 I would look at the Leupold Wind River Olympics, Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Legends, etc....

Between $450 and $800 I would look at the Zeiss Conquests (smaller objective though excellent image quality), Pentax SPs, and Kahles models.

Between $800 and $1100 I would be looking at the Leupold Golden Ring, Bushnell Elites, Nikon Premier LXLs...

..then you start talking used car level cost....
Old 09-23-2005, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Choosing the Right Binocular Page 1 of 3
your binocular questions with helpful descriptions and suggestions. 91181 Swift
... 753A Armored Sea Hawk 7x50. 91407 Pentax. ®. ”Roof Prism” DCF HR 8x42 ...

http:/www.forestry-suppliers.com/t01_pages/tt_pdf/4201_Binoc
New Window-www.forestry-suppliers.com/t01_pages/tt_pdf/4201_Binoculars.pdf][/url]Similar Sites-Archived
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Spike

Thanks all for the tips and info. It has been very helpful.

Im going to look over the different models andget the bestthat I can afford. Im in the same boat as GSP....I certainly cant afford the way upper end models as much as I'd like to have a pair!

D

Old 09-23-2005, 06:20 AM

Zeiss Conquests without a doubt best buy, 10x40.

Quick Reply: Binoculars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.