Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoculars

Old 09-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Binoculars

You should check out the available binoculars on E-Bay. Sometimes you can get quality optics at a great price. Another place to check would be www.opticstalk.com. SWFA has some good buys on optics, and the forum has some very knowledgeable people on it. They have a leftover or something like that pricing also.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are two further websites you may want to also take a gander at. They are geared for birders but they have some excellent info on binoculars.

www.betterviewdesired.com

www.birdforum.net

I just happened to take a gander at the new Pentax DCF HS and was very impressed for the price. At Cabelas....$190 on sale.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Timber....are they quality optics? A pig in a poke..Id have to look thru them first.....but you know me..IM CRAZY!!

EVEN PA SEZ NU!

If I buy ebay and the optics are scratched, or not fogproof, waterproof, shockproof........then what...Im tyin to be hassle free..You do your thing ..no disrespect to ya
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Shortee, go to Wally-Mart or KKK-Mart and buy your
bino's.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree 8x42 work great for the field. Mine are Pentax Roof's but they aren't exactly cheap but well worth it. I also received a set of Bushnell Legend Compact 9x25 a few years back for b'day, they have also been excellent but they aren't great for extremely low light or making out great detail at long distances -they were much less than the pentax though.

Whatever you go with may I suggest you also pick up some Bino Buddies or similar(I saw bushnell has one saw in our walmart) The best under 20 dollar purchase I have ever made. They hold the binos tight and take the weight off your neck.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:50 AM

From 7 to 8.5 power. But I do not like the 7x50 size which is mostly used for maritime work. Pretty heavey and some edge field distortion inherant in the design. 8x40 or 8x42 seems about perfect. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! Instead of buying more magnification, just spend more and buy better optics. You can see more detail with a set of high quality 8x42's than with a set of cheap 15x40's.
Probably the best bino for the money are the SWIFT AUDUBON 8.5x42 (model 802 I believe) at $279.99 on Binoculars .com
Swarovski and Leica are probbaly the best period though some would say zeiss. But the Conquest binos are not as good. You can get a better bino made in Japan that the Conquests (which are made in Hungary).
Old 09-24-2005, 10:53 AM

Also you need to check out some amateur sites about bino's. One is run by a guy named Holger Merlitz and another is by a guy named binofan. I don't have the addresses because I am not at home but do a search.
PS check ou the rubber armoured russian 7s30's on these sights. you can find them on ebay for under 100 bucks
okcmco
Old 09-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ebay is hit or miss. In the case of Nikons in particular...and assuming they are new models up for auction...they have a 25 year "no fault" warranty that basically states that regardless of what happens to them Nikon will repair or replace them at no cost.

Did I mention that I have a pair up for auction as we speak....
Old 09-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I live and Hunt in Ohio and I just bought a new pair of Bino's. 8 x 32 Burris. Brand new on Ebay for about 33% of store cost. These are perfect for where I hunt.