Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Old 09-12-2005, 05:57 PM

Default DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but oh well. I've read several posts about baiting being poaching. Well, I have hunted around baits, but I think that Deer Drives is worse. To me, its not really hunting, its just deer killing. No, I didn't say it was poaching. How many of you use Deer Drives. Seems like they are popular in this part of WV where I hunt. I do consider myself a bowhunter, more than a gun hunter though.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Never ran dogs on deer or driven deer in 50yrs. Just a good stalk and
kill. In the last 10yrs, been in climbing standshooting at them.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

So you say that feeding a deer like a pet for a while then killing it when it comes for a meal is any better?!?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

deer drives or small pushes are an excellent way to kill deer. there is alot of thought and planning to figure out where the excape routes are in a drive. doesn't seem like theres much to the bait and shoot thing to me. put food out for a couple months and shoot. seems simple enough. if it was legal here id probably do it though. be an easy way to put booners on the wall!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious, are you A.D.D.'s brother? Something sounds similar.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BigBuckFrenzy10

So you say that feeding a deer like a pet for a while then killing it when it comes for a meal is any better?!?
Never baited deer, hogs nor gators in my over 50yrs of hunting, but that is just
me. Which ever way a man wants to hunt is his business. To each his own!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM

I agree with BigBuckFrenzy10, you can honestly say that hunting over bait is hunting and deer drives are not yaaa oookkk well what ever helps you sleep at night. The only time me and my hunting party do drives is during the rifle season when we ususally have 2feet of snow and unless you push the deer they will not leave their sheltered beds unless absolutely necc not that I have to justify it. You say you consider yourself a bowhunter thats fine but maybe you should try some intense scouting to pinpoint the deers travel route from be to natural foodand set on that. IMO if its legal then do it and don'tknock what everyone else does.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Oh boy! Here we go again!

I grew up dog driving and have no problem with it as long as it is done right. Most people that dog hunt actually do it for the dogs instead of killing alot of deer. It is really fun. I love to hear a pack of dogs after a deer. Rather it be a fast fox walker, a small beagle, or a slow black and tan. It is also fun b/c you get to know a lot of different people and meet new friends.

Just like any other sport or activity in life, it is often the bad ones that get the attention and publicity.

I do like to keep my still hunting and dog hunting seperate. So I join a club for each. Or join a dog club for dogs and still hunt private tracts.

Dog hunting takes a lot of money to feed the dogs, run up and down the road at all times of the night for days at a time looking for all of them. It is very easy and common spend over $1,500 intracking systems. It takes planning on where to place the standers. You can also learn a lot about a deer by dog driving. Weather conditions also play a lot in it. If it is too hot and dry the dogs can't pick up scent. If it is too wet, the same.

Most of the deer that I killed while dog driving were not even being chased by the dogs. They were slipping out of the drive before the dogs even picked up their scent. Or on their natural rutien.

A dog can not read signs and will not stop b/c of propery lines. B/c of this I do think that you should have to have a certain amount of land to release dogs. Say 200-500ac min per tract.

I am sad to say that b/c of close minded people and the big timber companies here in SC, dog hunting will be a sport of the past in the near future.

Again, I will clearly state that I bet at least 90% of the people who put it down, have never done it![:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-12-2005, 07:25 PM

My experience with Baiting is this: the owner of the land I hunt on has a few feeders which they don't run all year long. Its a two hour drive for them and they only use them for a month or so before the season. The bench they put me on is 200 yards from the "bait". I've done this for about 3days worth of hunting (gun) over the last 3 years.

I do use topos, and land features to try and figure out where the deer are going to be while bowhunting. I personally don't even like to hunt with baits, but I totally understand why people do it, and I even see why people use drives.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

Oh boy! Here we go again!

I grew up dog driving and have no problem with it as long as it is done right. Most people that dog hunt actually do it for the dogs instead of killing alot of deer. It is really fun. I love to hear a pack of dogs after a deer. Rather it be a fast fox walker, a small beagle, or a slow black and tan. It is also fun b/c you get to know a lot of different people and meet new friends.

Just like any other sport or activity in life, it is often the bad ones that get the attention and publicity.

I do like to keep my still hunting and dog hunting seperate. So I join a club for each. Or join a dog club for dogs and still hunt private tracts.

Dog hunting takes a lot of money to feed the dogs, run up and down the road at all times of the night for days at a time looking for all of them. It is very easy and common spend over $1,500 intracking systems. It takes planning on where to place the standers. You can also learn a lot about a deer by dog driving. Weather conditions also play a lot in it. If it is too hot and dry the dogs can't pick up scent. If it is too wet, the same.

Most of the deer that I killed while dog driving were not even being chased by the dogs. They were slipping out of the drive before the dogs even picked up their scent. Or on their natural rutien.

A dog can not read signs and will not stop b/c of propery lines. B/c of this I do think that you should have to have a certain amount of land to release dogs. Say 200-500ac min per tract.

I am sad to say that b/c of close minded people and the big timber companies here in SC, dog hunting will be a sport of the past in the near future.

Again, I will clearly state that I bet at least 90% of the people who put it down, have never done it![:@][:@][:@]
very true. i never liked dog hunting until i actually went. i have yet to find a rush deer hunting like hearing a pack of hounds coming at you. it's very exilerating. i hope i get to go again.

Quick Reply: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.