Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Depends on how the drive is done. Around here where there is just small parcels of thicket it becomes a slaughter. 10 plus guys push a small patch and the other 10 surround the open fields and just shoot till all the deer are down wounded or they run out of ammo. I have witnessed this for years and it is disgusting. No one knows who shot what and they just divide up the deer.Not uncommon to hear 30 pr 40 shots at a small herd of deer and many times they are all killed.Seen deer get away without legs ,guts hanging out and such. Some of the deer look like a machine gun riddled them.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

I never used dogs for deer (it's not legal here in NY ) but small deer drives are little more than a bunch of guys on an organized stalk with other hunters on a stand sometimes it's very effective sometimes it's just a walk in the woods with a gun either way I can't see anything wrong with it
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

It must be September, and deer season is just around the corner!
How can I tell?
By the fifty threads that we'll see this month from egotistical, insecure hunters, trying to puff themselves up by putting down other hunters methods of hunting!
What a load of crap!
With hunting friends like some of these guys, we sure as hell don't need PETA! We'll just outlaw our ownselves!
I'll say this again, IF IT IS LEGAL, I WILL SUPPORT YOUR METHOD OF HUNTING!
Again, I think these flames come from one of three places, ego, ignorance (talking of things that they have never experienced before,) or ANTI's trolling to cause division!
I have never been on a deer drive, or hunted with dogs, but I realize that these are effective methods of hunting, and in many areas, these are huntingTRADITIONS, that span several generations!
Hunting with bait, in many places, Texas for one, has been legal since the week that God created the heavens and earth!
The native Americans, used many of these methods of hunting! In fact, many other places on earth, have used these types of hunting for centuries! I have never heard of anyone challenging their types of hunting as unsporting!
In fact, my wife is Native American, her particular tribe sat in the forks of trees all day as deer stands! So should we outlaw our climbers? Of course not!
If you don't like a particular hunting method, and you want it outlawed, or want to keep it from becoming legal in your state, GO TO YOUR STATE'S PUBLIC WILDLIFE HEARINGS!
Don't hide behind a keyboard, firing pot shots at LEGAL hunters!
We have enough trouble with the Anti's, and the Gun Grabbers, we don't need to be shooting each other in the back!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

We drive deer every year, my main concern is safety on drives. We often only kill one or 2 deer a year on drives, we can't use dogs in IL. Its an effective, LEGAL way to hunt them here. I have no problem with it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

We drive deer every year, my main concern is safety on drives. We often only kill one or 2 deer a year on drives, we can't use dogs in IL. Its an effective, LEGAL way to hunt them here. I have no problem with it.
My thoughts also!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

It must be September, and deer season is just around the corner!
How can I tell?
By the fifty threads that we'll see this month from egotistical, insecure hunters, trying to puff themselves up by putting down other hunters methods of hunting!
What a load of crap!
With hunting friends like some of these guys, we sure as hell don't need PETA! We'll just outlaw our ownselves!
I'll say this again, IF IT IS LEGAL, I WILL SUPPORT YOUR METHOD OF HUNTING!
Again, I think these flames come from one of three places, ego, ignorance (talking of things that they have never experienced before,) or ANTI's trolling to cause division!
I have never been on a deer drive, or hunted with dogs, but I realize that these are effective methods of hunting, and in many areas, these are huntingTRADITIONS, that span several generations!
Hunting with bait, in many places, Texas for one, has been legal since the week that God created the heavens and earth!
The native Americans, used many of these methods of hunting! In fact, many other places on earth, have used these types of hunting for centuries! I have never heard of anyone challenging their types of hunting as unsporting!
In fact, my wife is Native American, her particular tribe sat in the forks of trees all day as deer stands! So should we outlaw our climbers? Of course not!
If you don't like a particular hunting method, and you want it outlawed, or want to keep it from becoming legal in your state, GO TO YOUR STATE'S PUBLIC WILDLIFE HEARINGS!
Don't hide behind a keyboard, firing pot shots at LEGAL hunters!
We have enough trouble with the Anti's, and the Gun Grabbers, we don't need to be shooting each other in the back!
Thank you JagMagMan. I will give you a hearty AMEN!!! Preach on brother.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Interesting post. IMO, I never participated in drives until about 3 years ago. If done right and with the right bunch of guys, it can be safe, exciting and productive. We conducted these drives as we hunted from our stands the first 2 hours of the day and then conducted some 2+ hour drives the rest of the day. It was awesome and our job was to remove the deer.

However, I do enjoy bow hunting for the sheer joy of waiting for whatever might come your way and the skill it takes to drop a keen animal Whereas driving a herd you have the upper hand in so many ways.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Paco, Your fingers are typing but all I'm reading is BLAH<BLAH<BLAH!!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:34 PM

I agree with you paco97 that driving deer is a little easier than other styles of hunting, But its still hunting and there still is some challenge involved. If you realy want to make it hard try doing a deer drive with a bow instead of a rifle. Now thats realy hard and realy fun.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stevenrayspeck

I agree with you paco97 that driving deer is a little easier than other styles of hunting, But its still hunting and there still is some challenge involved. If you realy want to make it hard try doing a deer drive with a bow instead of a rifle. Now thats realy hard and realy fun.
i had to try it,it was exciting, the dogs chased 2 yearlings around for an hour in the small block of woods......not what i thought should happen, was kinda cruel in my eyes....there's something that happens to the deer when they are driven to far, dont remember what it was, but they'll die from it...waiting for my biologist buddy to call me back.....if anyone knows, it'd be appreciated, he's bad about returning calls, lol........but is one of the best in his field....i personally wouldnt do it for that reason alone, i want to kill the deer , but i wouldnt want it to be days after the run....... but to each thier own........

Quick Reply: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.