Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you poach ?

Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you poach ?

Yep you better believe it....
This disaster although as horrific as it is ,is nothing compared to a Super Volcanic Eruption that may to happen in Yellow Stone Park..Think about it..If that was to happen the whole Grain Belt of the Continnental U.S.A as well as Canada would be covered in 3ft of Ash..Cattle,Water, Crops would be destroyed..A head of letuce that cost less than a buck to buy now, would probably be as much as $10000.00 after..
No Gov will be there to help..How the hell are they to drop food off
to any survivors when it only takes a 1mm of ash to close an airport
down let alone fly through the stuff anyways..
Everyone will be left fending for themselves if this was to happen..
Its just a guess but I would think probably Looting/Poaching will be the only way to survive that aftermath..

Old 09-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wheres that dead horse at? We may get hungry enough to eat him on this one!
In many ways this national disaster is a big eye openning, wake up call to America! It is bringing out the best, and the worst of mankind! Many people, including many of my own family did not believe that such chaos would happen on American soil!Another story in itself!
Now, as to the question of would you poach! That goes right back to what we've seen on TV this past week! Is it looting? Or is it survival? To answer that I'd have to see what you've got in your hands!
Did you kill the first deer that you came across? Or are you carefully caping out a shoulder mount?!!!!
Under normal circumstances no, poaching is not acceptable! There are other ways of feeding the family. Besides, the money you may save poaching, would be more than lost on a fine, or jail time if the Game Warden doesn't buy your story!
Do you think that anyone would be concerned with you eating a gator, or Wood duck, in NO, Mississppi, or Alabama right now? I don't think so!!!!
However, you might just get fined, or jailed, with no sympathy, if you get caught loading your 4 Wheeler into the back of your nice air-conditioned truck, with a deer stapped on the back of it, anywhere the hell else you are in America!
Making a flimsy excuse to poach, is a slap in the face to those who are otherwise just trying to survive!

Old 09-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Only if my life depended on it.

To kill an animal illegally, just for S & G's is wrong. But if I was stranded out in the woods, and out of food....sure I would do what it took to stay alive.

BUt as others have already said, it really is a rare case where someone can't find food legally.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:43 PM

If it meant providing for my family of course I would. In my area they don't crack down that hard on people that poach for food. It is the ones that do it for profit that they really go for. Killing an extra deer to feed someone, cheating a bit, or taking game out of season is frowned upon, but not really what they pursue hard. My understanding is they are looking for the guy that kill bunches of them illegally and sell the parts.

Paul
Old 09-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Poached eggs are good with garlic and hot peppers on rye bread
man that sounds great
Old 09-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

if it was a life and death thing, why would you obey a law and die, when you could break the law and live? Laws are not a part of life, they are boundries and/or a foundation of rules to follow, I do not plan on breaking the "rules" unless it HAS to be done. HAS to be done meaning I couldnt live without it.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a person happened to live where the local police and conservation officers knew about his/her family's financial plight, they could make sure that some fresh road kill made it to his/her doorstrep. I know more than a few state troopers and local jurisdiction sherrifs that know the families that are struggling and get goods and services their way....including the occassional deer, rabbit, turkey etc. that may have been road killed ....

In cases when a family lives out in the boonies and is truly destitute for food and protien then I see it as a simple decision. If you have hungry kids there are few courts that will burn you for taking some game without all the papers needed.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would'nt just focus in on poaching . .but no doubt in a survival situation I would become opportunistic. A survival setting is not always in the wilderness, but can be most anywhere. I would however hope that I would not cross over the line and use "surviving" as an excuse to be opportunistic beyond my need to survive. Always my first question would be "is there any legal means that are at my disposal that don't compromise my christian walk and integrity?". I think that there is a defining line between a "no choice" situation and a situation with acceptable choices.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Survival only .
Old 09-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I WOULD ONLY POACH WHEN USING A SPOT LIGHT ;&gt)

DD

Quick Reply: Would you poach ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.