Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HEY SINCE EVERYONE SEEMS TO WANT TO SCORE ..

Old 09-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HEY SINCE EVERYONE SEEMS TO WANT TO SCORE ..

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Doc if anyone needs to keep their day jobs it AINT BarnesX, it's your buddies. Barnes was ALLOVER the real scores (and perhaps a little generous, the only buck I see in the pics over 125-130 is the big non-typ!). 140s 150s??? Sorry bud but no way, have you ever seen a true 140" 8ptr or a 150" 10ptr? They would DWARF any of the first three deer. They look like typical Alabama "trophies" and that's fine, I'm glad for you and congrats.

BTW that is one HELLACIOUS hawg Canuck buck you shot. Tremendous character and I would be PROUD of him as well,
RA
I have to agree with Red on the scores. It is hard to get a true idea of size without having the head in front of me, but I am not seeing that any of the first three will go over 125-130 gross. The big non typical, however, I thought would score better.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

RED YOU MAY BE RIGHT OL'E BUDDY ... LIKE I SAID EARLIER THE ONLY ONE I EVER HAD SCORED OFFICALY WAS THE N.T. .... AND THE FUNNY THING ABOUT THAT IS B&C ... BTR....NAWT ... ALL SCORED IT DIFFERENTLY .... THE OTHER THREE I NEVER REALLY CARED WHAT THEY SCORED BUT IT SEEMS SCORES NOW DAYS ARE THE FIRST THING SOMEONE ASKED YOU ABOUT ... AT ANYRATE THERE MINE AND I AM PROUD OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT THEY SCORE ...

DD

Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM

DD you're right about differences in scoring, particularly with respects too non-typs as in many cases they aren't "in stone" as are most typicals so interpretations by scorers can yield considerable differences from organization too the next and indeed one actual person doing the scoring too another. That is why serious contenders for the top end of the books are required to be panel scored.

A couple of years ago a customer of mine (was only 18 at the time) killed a HUGE non-typical right here in my local county (Madison County in western TN) and it was really a "grotesque" buck that almost had some cactus buck qualities about it and was even porous in places. BAAAAARELY and I do mean barely it had what I suppose you would call an 8pt mainframe too it. Many of us threw out different figures and really they were just guesses as we had never seen, much less scored a buck with such a freaked configuration. Most of usguessed it in the 240-250" range which made it a contender for the statesnon-typ crown.

After some pictures, phone calls and contacts Jackie Bushman sent up a BTR scorer who tallied the figures too around 308"!!! [:-]When I was handed the scoresheet a day or two later I was astonished as then thought I had held a possible new worlds record , I can't remember exact figures but I know it was close enough too the Beatty buck that it could possibly have become the largest to ever be taken (this was a year before the Louvsten buck was taken). I also remember thinking, "There is just no way that is a 300" buck, it is a damn impressive buck no doubt but I can't fathom it being anywhere close too the top".

At the time I was also working at my brothers sporting goods store and in it we actually had a "Hole in the horn" replica. It was of no comparison too the Ohio monarch! Eventually it was scored by some of B&Cs best and I believe it was put in the mid 240"s and ended up being #2 in our state.

So you can see, even in the world of black and white like score sheets... the scoring and interpreting what is what, that too is still up too human judgement and call.
RA
Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

That was an interesting story red. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

RED I KNOW MADISON CO TN WELL AS I USE TO WORK IN JACKSON. MY N.T. HAS BEEN SCORED ANYWHERE FROM 181 5/8 TO 188 1/8 .....THE B&C SCORER IN CANADAAND ONE IN ATLANTA WERE 4in APPART ... MY DEER ONLY HAD A 11.75 in INSIDE SPREAD, AND 9in DROP TINE AND SOME KICKERS SO I GUESS THEY HAD A DIFFERENT FORMULA TO USE OR THEY JUST SAW IT DIFFERENTLY ..BUT REALLY MAKES LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE LONG RUN ... I DOUBT THAT I COULD HAVE HAND PICKED A DEER THAT I WOULD HAVE RATHER HARVESTED THEN THIS ONE ..

DD

Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

What they need to do is either come out with a new system of one score, or just do away with the scoring altogether. Isn't it enough to congratulate a person on the deer, but then you have to ask "what did it score". To tell you all the truth, my best buck was a spike. The reason it was the best, it was my first buck and I shot himwhile hunting with my father. That to me is a true trophy.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

AMEN RON !!! I AGREE WITH YOU 100% THUS WHY I NAMED THIS TOPIC WHAT I DID .... "EVERYONE WANTS TO SCORE OR BE SCORED" .....

DD

Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 AM

Here is a picture of a 152" 8 pt. for ya just to judge this was officially scored p&y at 158" gross and 152" net. Just so there is some sort of measurement the left side g2 is 14 inches long.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 AM

dh 18 now THAT is what I'm talkin about!!! THAT my boys is a "Oh God" 8ptr. ANYTIME, ANYWHERE an 8 gets over 140" it is a TOAD and once it surpasses the 150+ mark you are talking about a real "Bull of the woods". I have only seen a handful of them in 20years with the biggest being an actual B&C class 8ptr during bowseason on my families place in MO about 10 years ago. It was seen and verified a week later by our biologist and there are only what, about half a dozen or less 8s in the permamnent book? The rarest of the rare among trophies!!!

I think to many guys are confusing the question some of us ask about what a deer scored or at least are confusing our meaning or reason for asking such. When someone tells me they killed an 8ptr, obviously that can mean alot of things. If it is an average trophy of around 110" I know it, if they say (and it actually is) a 140+ 8 then I know they have a truly special and rare trophy. That's the only reason I ask. The same goes on here, if someone on here can't post a pic but tells us of their 150" 10ptr then we have a decent idea of what they are talking about.

The emphasis and "worth" isn't necessarily in the numerical value, it's just a way to quantify and communicate the size without pics!
RA
Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I kept my day job anyway. All of my 3 "big" bucks scored lower than I thought and I don't give myself deductions. The only way my biggest 8-pointer would hit 120 is if I added up the best side, multiplied that by two, added the spread and stopped there. I call him a "120-class" buck but he really goes about 115 and nets somewhere down around 110 or less. He still looks like a big buck to me. It's not his fault that his left G3 and right G3 are different sizes and that his one G1 is broken but the other isn't.

Quick Reply: HEY SINCE EVERYONE SEEMS TO WANT TO SCORE ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.