Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting is not a game

Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Since when.......

ORIGINAL: fl.huntress

in my opinion: to each their own as long as it's legal and ethical.
I agree. However, the "legal" part is easy, while the "ethical" part is largely a question of personal preference because different people have different standards. Game hunting laws provide minimum standards for that locale, and they can differ dramatically. For example, in some places you can bait game and in some places you can't. Some hunters would decide not to bait game, even if legal in their area simply because they do not think it is ethical. In that case, the hunter's ethics provides a different (not necessarily higher) standard than the legal standard.

In other areas, the hunter's standards are all that control. I have never read agame huntinglaw or regulation that specifies, for example, how close you should be before you shoot. That standard is up to each person depending on his ability and tolerance for wounding but not killing game quickly. Some of us tend to be judgmental about our ethics. This is natural because the reason we have the ethics we do is because we think we are "right."

When someone else does something that is different from what we would do, we think the other person is "wrong." But in most cases, it isn't "wrong," it's just different. Having said that, there are some behaviours that fall so far below reasonable standards that most would agree that they are "wrong." So, in the end, we need to be a little more tolerant of other hunter's choices when those choices are merely different than the ones we would make. As others have said, we have enough enemies.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting is not a game

We have game laws so the deer has a chance. In the old days they were almost wiped out because they didn't have a chance. I also agree it is a game or a sport. No one has to hunt for food any more. It's done for fun even though we get good food in the end. You and I hunt for the enjoyment of it.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' k know who said it earlier but it is a game. Its a chess game. However, when I see a deer, I take the shot. Do I agree with how everyone hunts? No, but that is their way. I just hope their way is fair and legal.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I think your wrong if taking a life is a game to you.
Hunting is much more than that to me.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

that is your opinion, you're entiled to it.....i have to say...
i don't see how you can think we think it's a game...we just don't feel the need to get all the latest and greatest gadgets, doesn't mean our way is less effective.
we don't feel the need to kill every deer that walks within eyesight.we enjoy the time we spend in woods period. that is what it should be about, killing one is just the bonus.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taking life is part of hunting. If you hunt and never kill your an observer not a hunter. I still see it a recreation, sport, and a game. If you live somewhere in the world where you hunt to survive then it's not a game. You can not say you hunt just to survive. We love the challenge and thrill of the game. We can get all philosophical and give all the reasons why we hunt but it comes down to the enjoyment of the game.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

that is your opinion, you're entiled to it.....i have to say...
i don't see how you can think we think it's a game...we just don't feel the need to get all the latest and greatest gadgets, doesn't mean our way is less effective.
we don't feel the need to kill every deer that walks within eyesight.we enjoy the time we spend in woods period. that is what it should be about, killing one is just the bonus.
DITTO!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you gotta ask, you already know the answer.

It's got nothing to do with legal. Shooting a sitting duck is legal most places. Shooting turkeys off the roost is legal in Indiana.

Let your conciense be your guide, that's what it's doing when you feel the need to ask if something is ...
Old 09-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Since when.......

i agree danowak.....ethics are a personal preference...thankfully i am ethical to a fault and i'm proud of that....you have to have the upmost respect for the animals, the land, and other hunters....and hopefully the people you hunt with will have high standards as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

Taking life is part of hunting. If you hunt and never kill your an observer not a hunter. I still see it a recreation, sport, and a game. If you live somewhere in the world where you hunt to survive then it's not a game. You can not say you hunt just to survive. We love the challenge and thrill of the game. We can get all philosophical and give all the reasons why we hunt but it comes down to the enjoyment of the game.
I have to agree,to me it's a game,chess match,and most of the time they win.That's why it's hunting.

Quick Reply: Hunting is not a game

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.