Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cover scent questions

Old 09-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cover scent questions

Being scent free is not possible , no matter how meticulously you wash or what you wear you're not going to eliminate all odors . The best you can hope for is fooling the deer into thinking that you're farther away than you really are , and therefore not an immediate threat .

I honestly believe that cover scents , especially food scented ones , can and do help . I've seen it too many times to discount it . I spray my pop-up with acorn scent a lot , and I've seen deer , does mainly , come in to investigate . Only a few have snorted , and I think it was due more to the strange object than an errant odor . If they were smelling a threat I never would have seen them .
Old 09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

How many of us take the total scent elimination to the mark? I was getting ready Saturday for a day of hunting and it made me wonder.
1. I showered head to toe with scent elimination soap but then dried off with my daily towel. [:@]
2. I washed all of my hunting clothes with scent elimination soap and put them in a plastic bag. I put on my hunting pants and shirt but then sat in my van seat that I sit in everyday. [:@]
3. I sprayed my clothes and all of my equipment with scent elimination spray but how good does it do on a stand, or a backpack or your bow? [:@]
4. I walk to my stand and sweat so I spray my head and my shirt again with more spray. [:@]
5. I also spray on some "earth" scent (nothing more than dirt) to try and cover up anything I might have missed.[]
So how do you do? Are you missing some of the small things like I did or are you better at this? And I'm just a smuck? [&o]

Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Spike

I like to use coon urine but I think fox urine works well too. I spray it on my boots and on the backside of the tree I’m in. The logic behind these types of cover scents is that fox and raccoon are meat eaters but they aren’t a threat to deer. So, any predator smell that might leak out of your scent control program will mix with the scent of the urine and, hopefully, will not be picked out by the deer as being a threat. It’s along the same lines as the folklore that we’ve all heard that the Indians used to not eat meat for days before a hunt to minimize their predator odor. I don’t think it’s a good idea to use an attractant as a cover scent. Acorn, vanilla, etc. are more lures than cover scents. I think you want a scent that blends in with the forest, not one that causes a deer to focus in on you or your trail. Scents like coon and fox urines, Fall Essence, pine, cedar, earth, etc. are better choices for cover scents.

Of course, being as scent free as possible is the first step. No cover scent will make up for a poor scent control program but I disagree with the guys that say a good scent control program with a cover scent is somehow worse than a good scent control program without a cover scent. Just MO.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: 870 ExpressMag

i hunt in a tree stand and in a ground blind made out of plywood...it's basically a little house with sliding windows...i should just spray coon scent around the blind...and then where do i spray it when i am up in the tree stand?

and what does vanilla smell like to the deer?
Since the ground blind stays there it should smell like what it is , a building . Once they're used to it they ignore it . One of the best scent covers that I can think of is Fresh Earth , it really works . I also like Deer Dander , and HS Scent discs in Fresh Earth , or acorn .
I also agree with you,Kevin!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the truth. What I do is grab fresh leaves that fall early off of the trees and take them to my old blender. I addthree cups of water and mix it up. Once I have that mixed, well I boil it for a couple of minutes. I read some lines from Macbeth perferably the part when the witchcasts her spell. I strain what I have into a bottle that I take with me on hunts. Have never had a problem and it seems to work.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:59 PM

To me its kinda like this. Put a dead dog in your living room. Give it a week or so. Then when you can't stand the smell. Get out a couple cans of air freshener and spray. I am pretty sure that no matter how much you spray, what scent you use, your house is still going to smell like a dead dog.

Now, do the same thing, but when the dog starts to stink, TAKE IT OUT OF THE LIVING ROOM! No dead dog, no more smell.

No, you can never be totally scent free b/c billions of cells fall of of your body everyday. As I type this, hundreds of thousands are falling off. BUT, I like using scent ELIMINATORS instead of COVER scents.

Although you can never kill all of the scent, they do a pretty good job of cutting it down.

1. I wash with scentless soap in the morning.
2. I put my clothes on that have been washed with baking soda and air dried.Along with a hat that has had the same thing done to it.
3. I put my rubber boots on.
4. I sit in the same seat that i sit in everyday...didn't think about that one.[:@]
5. When I get to where I am going, I spray down with Odor Nix. The big bottle..
6. When I get out, I check the wind.
7. When I get to my stand, climb in it, I spray a little around me. THe little bottle.

I do not want to use ANYTHING that will get the deer looking for ME. I have enough problems keeping still. I sure as hell don't want them looking in my direction.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'VE BOW HUNTED HERE IN ALABAMA FOR 20 YEARS ...THE BEST THAT I HAVE FOUND IS "SURE KILL" CEDER OR PINE SCENT ... VERY EFFECTIVE ...

DD
Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Doc, can't count the many times I have roll my hunting clothes in
lighter pine! Ever done that?