Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help !! Bolt Action Slug Gun

Old 09-01-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Help !! Bolt Action Slug Gun

Does anyone still make a bolt action slug gun? I have seen the Savage, but I don't like the feel of it. I have an old Mossberg 185D but it's a smooth bore and I want to move to a rifled barrel. Any help would be appreciated.
JB
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help !! Bolt Action Slug Gun

Mossberg still makes the 695, I think.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:53 PM

The Mossberg 695 was discontinued last year or so ago. But you can find them quite easily, and they usually sell right around two hundred. Good guns, but it will require trigger work. Mine was 9 1/2 pounds before the smith worked on it. Their is also the discontinued Browning A Bolt, but they usually start around a grand or so. Their is also a bolt action from Tar-Hunt, but they start at over two grand. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saintjb,

First off,this post really belongs in the "guns" section. Most of the more knowledgeable slug gun owners keep a closer eye on that forum. That being said. Here is my take.

Secondly,you said "make", to me that implies you are looking for a current production gun. The only two being currently produced are the Savage 210 (400$), and the custum Tar Hunts (2500$).(I'll assume that is out of your expected price range)

Therefore the discussion should be really be about what is available.

You have4 choices in modern dedicated slug guns. The Savage 210 (400$new), Mossberg 695 (300$used), Marlin Slugmaster (250$used), Browning A-bolt (1250$used),(I'll assume that is out of your price range as well).

So that now leaves us with three guns.

1)Marlin Slugmaster....least accurate, problems with shell feeding, etc. not really a good choice.

2)Mossberg 695....similar to the Savage. It is more cumbersome in the hand. (ifyou have a problem with the savage chances are you will not like the Mossberg).Mostly importantly, it has a huge detraction. It is ported. I think any serious slug hunter would be foolish to risk their hearing by shooting this gun without hearing protection. (Lets face it very few hunters wear hearing protecion in the field). For this reason alone I would never consider purchasing this gun.

3)Savage 210....Most accurate of the three, closest to a rifle in overall feel etc. My personal choice, and one of my two slug guns.(The other being an A-bolt).

Even if you don't like the feel,itmust be regarded as one of the best choices.

One other gun that should be considered when discussing dedicated slug guns is the H and R Ultra slug. Of course this is a single shot, and not a very practical field gun. However it is very accurate and may more useful for some specific hunting situations such as stand hunting.

Here is some other relevant info..
Jcchartboy
I have been doing some research on the barrel length, and twist rates of today’s dedicated bolt action shotguns. I figured I would list what I have found here as a reference for others who may own these guns. These #’s should useful when comparing a particular sabots accuracy, across guns from different manufacturers.

Browning A-bolt
The 22” barrel features a 1 in 32” twist

H&R Ultra Slug
The 22” barrel features a 1 in 35' twist. *Utilizes 10ga exterior diameter barrel

Marlin 512 Slugmaster
The 21’ barrel features a 1 in 28” twist

Mossberg 695
The 22" parkerized barrel features a 1 in 36" twist. * PORTED

Savage 210 Slug Warrior
The 24” barrel features a 1 in 35’ twist.

Tar Hunt
The 23” barrel features a 1 in 28”twist. *PORTED
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: saintjb

Does anyone still make a bolt action slug gun? I have seen the Savage, but I don't like the feel of it. I have an old Mossberg 185D but it's a smooth bore and I want to move to a rifled barrel. Any help would be appreciated.
JB
Tar-Hunt

Savage 210
Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 PM

If I could have afforded it the savage slug gun would have went home with me instead of the H&R. Out of curiosity what didn't you like about it? I was pretty impressed with it myself. I have looked at other bolt action slug and shotguns in the past and didn't feel they were as nice as the savage I looked at recently.

I will agree as well, the H&Rs are a great slug gun for the money.

Paul
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Mostly importantly, it has a huge detraction. It is ported. I think any serious slug hunter would be foolish to risk their hearing by shooting this gun without hearing protection. (Lets face it very few hunters wear hearing protecion in the field). For this reason alone I would never consider purchasing this gun.
Well said. After I shot my first doe with mine, my ears rang for nearly a week afterwards. And their is no way that porting can reduce recoil, it kicks like a mule. Even the 2 3/4" sabot slugs do. And the 3" ones shoot the best,isn't that the way it always works?[:@] But it is a shooter, once I got the trigger adjusted.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 AM

My mossberg 500 was ported. I didn't think it was that loud. It was loud, but not like a high powered rifle with a brake. I think my new slug gun is just as loud to me, maybe because of the shorter barrel?

On my pump the porting didn't so much reduce recoil as it prevented muzzle flip. It did a pretty good job of that. I've never shot one of the bolt action slug guns by mossberg though.

And maybe I'm half deaf from working around jets and being in factories most of my adult life.

Paul
Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Gun Tests Home Subscribers Only Get Web Access Now Start a ...
In sum, the Browning A-Bolt slug gun delivered the best accuracy and shooter
ergonomics. Despite its high price tag, we recommend it. ...

http:/www.gun-tests.com/performance/apr97browning.html
New Window-www.gun-tests.com/performance/apr97browning.html][/url]Similar Sites-Archived
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are looking for a bolt action shotgun and happen to have Scheels Sports Store near by, check out the line of quality used guns, I know Scheels in Eau Claire Wi carries a big line of quality used guns and have seen many bolt action shotguns there.