Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to hunt early season

Old 08-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where to hunt early season

This year i have the opportunity to participate in our states youth hunt on sept 24-25, this is pretty early in the season and way before the rut. the woods are usually packed with hunters starting Oct. 1, which is opening day of regular season, but this weekend there wont be a hunter anywhere, i was wondering where the best spot to hunt would be this early in the season before there is any hunting pressure.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where to hunt early season

Generally, in the early season much like the begining of the season in October I like to hunt the areas close to food and water. I would hunt near to those areas where there are well established travel routes. For as early as you will be out I would focus on those types of areas. As you move closer to the last week of October obviously your strategy changes but try food and water with likely movement routes.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 PM

Same. Food and water.

What state are you in? If you are in the South don't assume that deer don't rut in late Sept or Early Oct.

Our bow season comes in Sept. 1st or gun season comes in Sept. 15th. So its hot as crap. Deer don't move too much. Try hunting water holes during the MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And food sources late in the evening. Mornings, I would say, well I am not a morning hunter. I stay in the bed. lol. Unless its during the big rut.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

i was always told to hunt the trails leading from the bedding to the food source, because the deer are usually on a pretty consistent routine before the rut hits, and then all hell breaks loose.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

what others said
Old 09-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice is to hunt trails leading to known food sources. Place your stand site 20 yds. downwind of these trails, even better if it's in a staging area...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Food source in my neck of the woods.....whether it be cornfields, acorn crops or soybean. In the morning I settle in closer to the bedding area and in the evening I am a bit closer to the fields.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I am hunting in Northern Michigan where the rut doesn't start until late october and i am hunting in an area where there aren't any corn fields or any types of farms within 3-4 miles, its just a lot of woods where i hunt. i was wondering where the deer are feeding in the middle of the woods, there are oak trees everywhere, so how do i determine where they are eating and what they are eating. thanks for the help
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Find a tree in the oaks and stay there all day. The deer will wander through.
Brian
Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

What if you are hunting the mountains and there are no fields of grain or food plots? I did find a spring with a hefty trail cut into the hill side that deer and elk are using. I am thinking about climbing a tree close to it. The only problem is there is a road above and below the spot. The lower road is only 15-20 yards away. The good thing is the area is hardly used by anyone so heavy traffic is not a big problem. I was below the lower road Monday and the only traffic was some ATV's going back and forth.

Quick Reply: Where to hunt early season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.