Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should we display our dead Deer?

Old 09-28-2002, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should we display our dead Deer?

We have a right to be proud of our of our kill, but you need to think before you use it for public display. I am undergoing certification in instructing the Montana Bowhunting course and something that I learned was that 10% of our population is for hunting and 10% are the anti's and the other 80% have no opionion. If that 80% were to be vocal it would be on how you conduct yourself as a hunter, or you WILL lose our sport. Join the NRA and/or join your local bowhunting organization. We got to stick together folks and make some noise, but do it by voteing the right people in office to protect our rights. OOPS, sorry kinda got carried away, but I suggest getting that deer to the cooler ASAP as opposed to useing it for public display, later folks, Bobby
Old 09-28-2002, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had the animal here around Kansas City where I live now, then no. If I had it around the county where I was raised in and hunt, then of course, I don't see anything wrong with it. And the only reason I feel it can be bad to disply the animals is because it'll give more fuel for the anti's. Otherwise I could care less about what they thought, because if they think hunting is bad then they're morons anyways...
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-29-2002, 12:18 AM

Like I have said before, and like Big Country said above, the anti's aren't who we need to be worried about. They already have their minds made up, and covering up a deer isn't going change that. But, the non-hunting public does not. I don't think everyone should go to extreme lengths to cover up a deer in order to "hide" it. I also don't think driving around with a bloody, dead animal on top of your vehicle is the smartest thing either. There is a time and a place for it. I look at it this way, most people don't care to see blood and guts in real life, even if it is only an animal. I don't think it has anything to do with being proud of what you did, or being proud because you are a hunter. We can show off our kills to our huntin' buddies, they are really the only ones who care anyhow. Again, I'm not saying wrap the thing up so it can't be seen. But if your gonna leave tailgate down, at least turn the deer around so the people behind you at the stoplight who just got done eating at the local steakhouse aren't staring into a bloody carcass . I don't think it sheds a good light on hunters when the "average joe" in the "average town" is seeing that sort of thing. Non-hunters know we hunt, they know an animal dies, they know it is generally for a good cause, but that doesn't mean they want to see it. I think it will be little issues like this that end up getting picked apart and thrown in our face when we are defending what we do. It's as much about keeping hunting alive as it is showing some respect for the people that allow us to keep hunting (the fence sitting, non-hunting public). And for those of you that say "if ya don't like it, don't look", well, then next time you see two gays tounging each other in public in front of your kids then I assume you will apply the same rules. JMO

--Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs--

Edited by - IndyHunter on 09/29/2002 01:22:31
Old 09-29-2002, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Indy LOL!!!
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
And for those of you that say &quot;if ya don't like it, don't look&quot;, well, then next time you see two gays tounging each other in public in front of your kids then I assume you will apply the same rules. JMO

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I don't cover mine up, but I do close the tailgate. I don't want to hear someone whine about how I killed Bambi, and I don't want to offend someone. If we turn the non hunters against us and they become anti, then we will suffer the consequinces(?).

I know there are certain things I don't like seeing(*****s kissing)so I understand how some people might feel about my harvest.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!
Old 09-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

we put ours in the bed of the truck...legs stick up...bout it....when we get to the camp they hang with pride so anybody who can see back the driveway sees our deer...when we are home in the suburbs we hang them in the garage because people dont need upset neighbors....if we didnt have a garage to hang them in they would go in a tree or from the raftors of the poarch....so we do the neighbors a favor i think....

Old 09-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the time we leave the woods it is in the cooler on ice.If a buck, the head might be in the back of the truck.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely NOT! We all should care what others think, even if it's not how we feel. We need to respect their ideas too. I'll be the first to admit, I love to see a nice buck, but not on someone's hood or in the bed of their truck while they're driving w/ the tailgate down. I don't show mine off around town - I might take it by a buddies house if I have time or have some people over to see it, but that's about the extent of it. Just my .02!
Old 09-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I load them in the back of the pickup, close the tailgate and head for the cooler.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Awesome post Indy, Pretty much covers how I feel.

I think we should simply have some sense of decency over the whole thing. For example, last year I was driving home from a hunt and saw 4 deer carcasses hanging by the neck in the front lawn of some guys house. It was in a very residential area. It simply looked bad!! For crying out loud, at least hang em in the back yard or the garage. And in my opinion, hanging a deer by the neck looks very very bad and dare I say gross! I think it's way easier and looks much more humane just to hang them from the back legs.

There's nothing wrong with us having pride for our harvests but lets at least have some respect for the animal and our neighbors who probably don't want to see it. Hanging em boastfully by the necks from a tree, looking like the gallows pole doesn't make anybody think your some great hunter...even fellow hunters.

The same thing (at least for me) holds true when taking photo's. I try to take em with as much dignity as possible...hiding the gutting holes, pushing tongues back in, &quot;posing&quot; the deer in a decent manner, etc.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2002, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Jersey, Fish and Game asks that hunters be &quot;Discreet&quot; when transporting deer to and from a check station. It makes sense with the high population here. I have gotten the finger a few times when I have had deer in open view. I've also gotten a few &quot;thumb's up.

Edited by - JerseyJoe on 09/30/2002 13:09:18

Quick Reply: Should we display our dead Deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.