Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My annual reminder

Old 08-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Default My annual reminder

Hey fellas, I gave this reminder last year and just want to do it again before the deer seasons get going real strong. Please do not shoothunting dogs from your stands this year on public land. Remember that there are small game hunters out there with their squirrel dogs and rabbit dogs and bird dogs trying to enjoy the woods. I am a deer hunter myself, it's about my favorite thing to do, but I also hunt squirrel dogs. Since I am a deer hunter I can say this, there are some hunters who just think every dog is going to run "their" deer. Now before anybody gets upset, let me specify I am just referring to hunting dogs, not ferral dogs or wild dogs and I am not talking about private land. I would never get on here and suggest how hunters should manage their own private land (even though I don't believe a hunting dog should be shot for "trespassing" either). On public land though, not every dog you see is runnin' deer, even if they look like it. Things to look for are orange collars, bells and vests on dogs. Also any dog that is frequently looking back as if checking for a hunter following a hundred yards back. Also, for education sake, there is a breed of dog called a mountain cur that looks like a birddog/boxer type cross that hunters use for squirrels and coons. They look like rascally mutts but they are carefully bred and expensive dogs, so try to watch out for them on public land. Remember,I am not referring to ferrals or wild dogs, just potential hunting dogs working with their masters to do the same thing a deer hunters doing. Thanks and good luck this season. I look forward to trying out my new deer riflle and hopefully getting a deer with my bow as well.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Default RE: My annual reminder

I have never heard of anyone shooting a dog from a deer stand...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Thats a good reminder I hate when people shoot other peoples pets/hunting partners beacuse they are apparently running THEIR deer as if they own the deer. As far as wild dogs or yotes or something like that its understandablebut if your neighbours dog or any dog is on your land either talk to the owner first or just take it as a uneventful hunt. Anyways since we are on the annual reminders subject my reminder to myself and everyone else is to tuck away the hood on your jacket while taking a crap in the woods (learned that one the hard way)[:@]
Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: moosehunter21

I have never heard of anyone shooting a dog from a deer stand...
Moosehunter21,
That's real good that you've never been around that, but it sure does happen. I work with a guy who has a lease and one of the conditions the landowner gave him to hunt on his land is that he shoot every dog he sees, collared or not. Makes me sick. Good luck this season

Snowman,
very, very sound advice.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

snowman 69:
tuck away the hood on your jacket while taking a crap in the woods (learned that one the hard way)
Do you stand on your head or somethng whle taking your c*@p in the woods? Isn't one thing always supposed to be lower that the other? Are you "getting the beans on top of the franks"?

Whatever is happening in OK is happening in OK. In many other states, yes guys who have waited all year for their chance to take a deer do get upset by inconsiderate neighbors letting their dogs run loose or strays and YES - many get shot down.

But you must understand that if it is your dog, no matter what, he must be under your immediate contol and/or on your property.

If Rover wanders over on our place during deer season, he's very likely to stay there.

This has become an arguing point in the past in this forum, but no one is going to change their mind towards letting Rover walk away if he's chasing deer or just pi$$in the place up, more folks apt to move towards Rover eradication procedures.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some one who shoots my dog whenme and my dog are doing things legally will get shot back at. My dog is a family member that would die for me and my family.He sleeps and eats in my home and sleeps with us and watches over the baby like a marine guarding a terrorist.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

My sentiments mirror Bob's. Our dog is a member of the family. I cannot see how someone would shoot a dog from a treestand during small game season.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:30 AM

For those who wonder how it could happen, just read Uncle Matt's post.

Uncle Matt, You took me sorely out of context - I clearly specified, so that nobody would do what you did, that I was talking about HUNTING dogs on PUBLIC land, and then went the extra mile by specifying that I wasn't talking about strays on private land. People who think with the mentality of your post while on private land make their own decisions, but thinking like that on public land is likely to get a hunter in big trouble. Once again, I was just reminding people not to think that way on public land when they see a potential hunting dog, and that is why I listed several things to look for that indicate a dog is hunting. Thanks all and good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:52 AM

I agree, on public land you must take into consideration that a dog could be their leagally. I lost a really good GSP on public land several years ago while hunting pheasants. Some dumb schmuck shot her with an arrow, and she didn't survive. She was wearing an E-collar and a blaze orange hunting vest. He got mad because she got to close to his stand, which was on the edge of a CRP field. He ended up paying my close to $2,000 and was fined by the state, and banned from hunting their any more.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever is happening in OK is happening in OK. In many other states, yes guys who have waited all year for their chance to take a deer do get upset by inconsiderate neighbors letting their dogs run loose or strays and YES - many get shot down.

But you must understand that if it is your dog, no matter what, he must be under your immediate contol and/or on your property.

If Rover wanders over on our place during deer season, he's very likely to stay there.

This has become an arguing point in the past in this forum, but no one is going to change their mind towards letting Rover walk away if he's chasing deer or just pi$$in the place up, more folks apt to move towards Rover eradication procedures.
Heck I've waited all my life to get a chance, year after year to take a deer, still wouldn't shoot someone's pet because they were chasing deer, even on my own property! I have more respect than that. JMO!

This is a good reminder.

Quick Reply: My annual reminder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.