Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Cutting

Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Deer Cutting

Well its not appropriate on this site to do any personal bashing so I'll just say to you,build your cabin,when your bushmaster comes in,lock yourself inside with 2 gallons of whiskey,play some old sad george jones songs and think if all the old girlfriends who have done you wrong.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 PM

Your getting added to the list.[:@]
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of Cuchullainns intentions... I believeeveryone on thisboardshould know the answer to his original question.

How long does it usually take you guys to cut out all the usable meat off a deer? Ive been thinking when I go hunting I will just cut it up and put it on bags where it fell. Instead of moving the whole deer.
First off, this is perfectly legal in New York under the following guidlines...

All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, big game license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/biggame.html#Tagging

The entire process of cleanly quarting and otherwise butcheringa deer to be prepared for backpacking takes approximately 30-45 min depending on knife handling skills.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:12 AM

Well done JCC. I've always dragged my deer out,but have always wanted to avoid the disposal problems of the carcass. I know how to gut, skin and quarter the animal , and remove the feet at the joint. Backpacking out is the way to go; the various cuts end up in the cooler or fridge for aging ( a must) and then are deboned and packaged at my leisure. I'll throw in a reminder here to be sure and take out the FRONT backstraps, as well as the back ones. As for selling the antlers? Check EBAY if you want to get an idea of pricing. Cuch.. rent or buy a video on the butchering process, or watch the local deer butcher do a few.
Hey Hllbilly, are you serious about the salt/lyme/storage method? Man, that's country...back country!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Here is some simple advice..... since you are really new to hunting, I think it would be best for you , if you make a harvest... to simply field dress your deer (gut/clean) and then take it to a check station if required by law were you will be hunting then take it to a processor and let them process the meat for you.... I really think it would be the best thing for you to do..

I cannot stress enough for you to READ and understand you game laws were you will be hunting....Most states, you cannot completly butcher your harvest until it arrives at its FINAL destinaion point (Home,or processor) Most state you can skin and quarter you deer but have to retain proof of sex, not yours the deer's..
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

buckstophere,
No, my post was a joke. I would never eat anything that had once been covered in lyme.nor do I travel with freezer paper in my back pack. It was meant in the ridiculous spirit of the originator of this thread (no offense Cuc, I was definately having fun, just don't want to lead anyone else astray.)
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 PM

I agree with taking it somewhere. Find someone to show you a good way of feild dressing the deer and then find a processor close to where you hunt. When you shoot one, field dress it taking your time and then take it to a processor. Some will even dress the deer for you if you don't want to do it. For an extra charge of course. However you better get it there fairly fast.

How the deer and the meat is handled after a kill really effects how the meat tastes. If you don't know what you are doing you could ruin the meat and it will taste nasty and gamey. Of course some of that depends on where you live and what the deer eats as well.

If you can find someone to show you how to do these things properly I say go for it if you want, but if you don't know what you are doing, I would pay someone to do it right. They might even give you some tips. They can get rid of the antlers and skin if you want. Most keep the antlers for trophies though. I have them cut them off before I leave so I can take them home with me.

As far as keeping the pelt, unless you want to learn to preserve it yourself it is not that cheap to have done. Most processors can make arrangements for that as well.

Where I live just to butcher your deer into steaks and burger is about 50-60 bucks. If you want anything special like sausage or jerky it will cost more. I think they charge 15 bucks or so to gut it for you if you don't want to, I'm not sure since I've never had it done. They will also skin them or cape them out if you like as well. At least the good ones will.

I think my pelt was around 15 or 20 to have skinned, and then around 80 to have sent out and tanned. And that was with the hair. I believe without is even more. And it took about 3 or 4 months before I got it back. I might try and do the next one myself, I live in the country though. It's pretty hard work from I understand. And butchering one is for sure. I had someone show me how once. I'd rather just take it some where if I have a choice.

You sound like the kind of guy that would be better off just taking it somewhere and coming back in a few weeks and paying for your meat already wrapped and bagged just like at a store. If you would like someone to shoot it for you as well I'm sure that could be arranged..

Paul
Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Takes me about 20/45 mins ti bebone a deer and onlyabout 1 hour to debone an elk.

Any one that thinks it is to hard to do in the woods needs to run with me a few kills.If you are in a state that dose not alowed to cut up the deer you guys have to do it the hard way :{

Charles Bradford
Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: cuchullainn

How long does it usually take you guys to cut out all the usable meat off a deer? Ive been thinking when I go hunting I will just cut it up and put it on bags where it fell. Instead of moving the whole deer. I wouldnt keep anything but the meat or the fur. Are the antlers or anything else worth taking to sell?

Dude.. MY ADVICE STILL STANDS! GO TO A HUNTER ED COURSE. I realy hope your hunting with so experienced hunters so theycan prevent you from making some realy bad errors.....dude where are you hunting? Unless Im hunting with you I dont want to be around......
Old 08-27-2005, 09:31 AM

Guys read his siggy! That might give you an idea where he's coming from! Build a cabin on land that you don't own!

Quick Reply: Deer Cutting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.