Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Catch and Release Hunting?

Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Catch and Release Hunting?

ORIGINAL: cuchullainn

Could you thread the end of your barrel and attach a 3 pronged barrel on the end where u would have 3 missile things with nets attached. Take the projectile off the bullet and fire the nets catching the deer? I was thinking this might be good for catching them alive if I ever wanted to breed deer.
Please tell me you are not serious.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:29 PM

Thats exactly what the police use except its not attached to an existing gun. And it uses a rifle round with no projectile.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't guess I see much point in it. The fatality rate for tranquilized animals is about 50%. Not to mention keeping the animal alive and breathing, then getting it back on its feet basically takes a D.V.M. The stuff in tranquilizersis dangerous stuff. There is a very, very fine line between enough to be effective and enough to be lethal.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

It is my understanding, that a deer that has been tranquilzed cannot be safely eaten by humans for quite some time after that.

So what happens if Joe Blow tranks a deer today, lets it go, and Bob Smith shoots the same deer later in the day. Bob will never know that it was tranked, and then he fries up some of the deer that night. Not good.

PLUS - wouldn't the tracking after the shot be WAY harder, since there is no blood? So how many of these deer would you actually find?

I think the only thing that would be even remotely plausible, is to hunt deer with a paintball gun that shoots animal safe paint pellets. You could say you "shot" the deer, but really it is just walking around with a big bolb of red or blue paint on its side.

But the paint would have to be non-harmful to the deer, who would most likely try to groom it off themselves. PLUS , I would be afraif that too many gung ho kids would be out in the woods blazing away at the deer with these paintballs, hitting them in the eyes, head, etc.

All in all, I guess it is KILL them or take a photo with a good zoom. No other options.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 PM

A boomerang lol.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

if I ever wanted to breed deer.
don't get caught
Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Pennsylvania Game Commission, in conjunction with Penn State University just completed an initial phase ofa very extensive study of wild deer. Without going into the specifics, they used bait and rocket or spring - propelled nets and tranquilizers to check the age, weight, and antler massof wild deer.

I didn't hear any specific instances of mortality as a result of this study, but I did learn that the initial phases were very successful.

I guess I was basing my wild ideas on the bases of that study and it's collection techniques, trying to beat the bushes and see if there's any real-world interest from my peers inthe hunting public.

All I know is that if somebody in the know told me that I could go out hunting, shoot deer all day, and that they would all recover quickly and without harm, I'd be all over it. The devil may be in the details, but it seemed like a good idea on paper.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aren't most animals that are shot with a tranquilizer gun, shot right in the ass? Maybe that is what is so appealling to you guys.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Spike

One of the main reasons of hunting is to control the population of animals and to better the rest of the heard. Just think this is a crazy idea. The anti's would be all over this. I saw a hunt on ebay for shooting exotics with paintball guns. This is the stuff that gives real hunters bad names for sure. Who want to harrass animal by shooting them with paintballs?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Well, there are several reasons why I would be opposed to this. First, deer need to be killed every year. Could you imagine if all of the deer harvested by hunters lived just one more year. There would be so many deer wandering around that it would be an epidemic. Second, would you want to kill and eat a deer that had been tranq'd earlier that morning with all of that garbage floating around in its system? Would you want other animals like bears or lions ingesting all of that chemical as well? I don't think so. Also, you would have another epidemic with druggies buying the tranq rounds to get high and probably dying in the process. You would also have tranq shootings on people. I just think that there are way too many negatives for this to ever be a good idea. I don't agree that shooting an animal with a tranq twice will kill it, as suggested is the case with polar bear in this thread. If you give the drug enough time to leave the system before readmininstering it to the animal there will be no ill effects.

Quick Reply: Catch and Release Hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.