Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you as good a hunter as.......

Old 08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are you as good a hunter as.......

..the person who got you into this sport. It was probably a close relative or friend, but whoever it was, have you finally reached that point where you consider yourself just as good?

In my case, I was taught by my Dad back in the 60's and (a silent toast) he passed away 35 yrs. ago. Although I have hunted many more years than he ever did, I don't ever feel I'll be the hunter he was...He (a city boy) hunted when no one else took up the sport, and he did it at a time without all the new hi-tech stuff on the market today. He knew more about the whitetail deer than enyone I have ever met and I have met a lot of peope since those days. If he was that good back then, I could just imagine how good he would be today.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Are you as good a hunter as.......

I'm a better shot than my old man but I don't have nearly the experience or other abilities as him, ie tracking, or if something goes wrong. I've been trapping with him since I've been three years old. It's a learning progress. you learn from experience and mistakes.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I owe everything to my dad, he taught me a lot, we learned alot together, but I reached a point where I felt I was a better hunter than him several years ago. He's now lost interest and doesn't go anymore.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Jimmy ,
I watched my step-dad bring home 2 rabbits once. I was hooked. He did not like me but he let me use his 410 at age 13. Yes and no. to your question.I have never learned to hit a rabbit on the run. My step dad though has never killed a deer. I killed 3. With a rifle I came in 2nd place in the entire battalion,in the army.Shotgun ...I stink.

So in scouting ,rifle and filling the freezer I passed him up.

But in shotgun skills. not even close.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:46 PM

My Dad also introduced me to hunting. By most standards, I am a "better" hunter than he is or was if you measure better by animals taken and woods knowledge. My passion for it burns stronger. I could still learnsome things though that he mastered long ago. I love hunting with him, as he enjoys the experience of "hunting" like few people I have met and measures success rarely by the size or numbers of game taken.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

MY DAD NEVER DEER HUNTED SO IT WOULD BE HARD TO SAY HOWEVER MY 34 YR OLD SON AND I HAVE BEEN HUNTING TOGETHER SINCE HE WAS 15 AND EVEN THOUGH I THINK I AM STILL A BETTER SHOT HE IS A BETTER WOODSMAN I THINK ...BUT I WOULD NEVER ADMIT IT TO HIM ;&gt)

DD
Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM

My neighbor got me and my father into hunting so my father has only been hunting one year longer than i have. I have taken more deer than him since then. but he sees so many more deer. he says he just likes to watch them instead of shoot them. But my neighbor who got us into hunting i could never even compare to him. he has tought me and my father just about everything we know
Old 08-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I too was taught hunting by my Father (another silent toast - here's to ya Pop).

But I believe I am a better hunter. He was very set in his ways and had no desire to be mobile while hunting. He couldn't walk far. Never beleived in anything new. Not open minded at all.

And I know I was the crack shot between the two of us, cause that's all he ever did was tell anyone who'd listen. LOL.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gee. I think my dad would say I have been more successful over the years.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

i never had my dad to show me how to hunt. i was lucky enough to have several uncles that had me tag along as a boy to learn. now that i am a man with 3 kids of my own it is my turn to teach them.

as for being a better hunter than those that taught me.... no i am not. i hunt as a form of enjoyment and as a past time... they hunted because there where many mouths to feed

Quick Reply: Are you as good a hunter as.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.