Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting-Rifle question

Old 09-25-2002, 10:01 PM

Default New to hunting-Rifle question

I am getting into hunting, seriously, for the first time in my life, and as a college student I don't have very much money. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a decent rifle for as little as possible. I was also wondering what preferences ya'll have as far as rifles. This gun will just be until Christmas when I can get something else, but I need something until then. I would really appreciate any insight an experienced hunter could give me. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to hunting-Rifle question

I'll start this off,heck go to Walmart and get you a 30-30 if your hunting is less than 100 yards.Asking us what rifle we like is like asking what kind of wife we prefer.You're going to get a lot of different opinions.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:23 PM

You can pick up a 30-30 at most Wally Worlds for around $265-275. Which is a great deer gun within its limits. If your looking for a little some thing more, Look into a Remington 700adl, they come in 30-06, 308 and 270. They cost a little under $380 I belive. If you already have a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun, you can also use that as a deer gun if you don't have the cash for a new rifle.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. When I was younger I hunted with a 30-30, but where I will be hunting now it is not really practical. Thanks for your replies, and look forward to hearing more.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:46 PM

Goto all the pawn shops and gun shows in your area. You can, if your luckly you can pick up an old 308 or 30-06 ect for cheap. Ive seen 30-06 for as little a $125

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of welcome to the board!

To find used guns, newspaper classifieds, web, gun shows, pawn shop and gun dealers.

Calibers, 243, 270, 3006, 308 or what about 303 brits...Have seen the old 303 take loads of deer and should be able to find one cheap.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Spike

Since you are expecting to get a better rifle for Christmas, I'd suggest two good but inexpensive options. Either a British .303 or a Mauser 8mm military surplus that you can get for less than $200, you can find hunting ammo fairly easy and they both have the stopping power and range of a 30.06 or .308. I prefer the British Enfield SMLE or No.II because it's battlefield sight is great for hunting.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest
Old 09-26-2002, 12:04 PM

New England Firearms has the handi-rifle that are pretty reasonable in price.And you can get them in just about any caliber.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Spike

Is there any chance you could borrow one until Christmas?

Old 09-26-2002, 01:53 PM

I probably could, but I would like to have an extra rifle anyway, and since I plan on hunting a good bit this season I don't really want to borrow one. I like the gun show/ pawnshop idea, and that is probably the route that I will take. I have other guns that I could trade, and that is probably my best option. I appreciate everything that ya'll have posted, and I would still like to here if anyone knows of a good caliber of rifle that I would not think of. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New to hunting-Rifle question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.