Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting-Rifle question

Old 09-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: New to hunting-Rifle question

In addition to all the 30-30,30.06, 308, 270 calibers (not to mention the current magnum craze) a few of my favorite non-standard calibers include the .257 Roberts, 6.5X55 Swede, .303 British, 7x57, 8mm, 7.62X54 Russian, and the .375H&H (but its alittle too heavy for whitetails).

Also check out the CZ and Tikka's for bolt actions. Also the H&R Handi Rifle built by New England Fires - as mentioned early - are accurate little rifles. Ruger makes the H&R barrels and Marlin markets them.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest
Old 09-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

some other calibers to consider, 7mm-08, .243win. I use the .243, but would like a 7mm-08 myself. It's being taughted as the best all round deer rifle ( for the moment anyway) It rivals the .30-06 in terrminal balistics but without the recoil.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:58 AM

NEVER EVER EVER get rid of any gun. never sell, trade in, swap guns. you will always be wanting that gun back again.

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 09-27-2002, 11:24 AM

Mosin Nagant carbine. M91/59, M44 or any other that looks in good shape. They fire the 7.62x54R cartridge which falls between the .308 and .30/06 powerwise. These rifles are cheap, rugged, compact enoungh for brush hunting and will anchor most North American game at sensible ranges with good hunting ammo. Sellier & Belliot 180gr soft points are what I use in my 91/59.

Mine cost $80.00 Canadian and it's in real good shape. I bought a Savage this spring but I will keep the Mosin for sentimental reasons (Christmas gift from Mom) and because it is a blast to shoot.

Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Spike

DaNewf is talking straight up about the Mosin Nagant M44s, M91/59, and the M38s - all three of those are fine shooting Russian designed military bolt actions w/@20-inch barrels. And he was kidding about being a blast to shoot, especially at the first crack of dawn or at twilight - the muzzle blast is impressive. The Mosin Nagant 91/30s are also good budget firearms. But for a little more weight, you can get a Finn M39 MN (same 7.62x54R caliber)with a Sako barrel that will out shoot better than most of us can see. Handloads and a good 300meter range will make a believer out of most shooters.

Propmahn is preaching the absolute gospel, never..ever sell a gun. Build a bigger house, buy a bigger gun safe, sell the boat and motor, but never, never, ever sell a firearm...just add to your collection.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest

Favorite Sticker: Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter
Old 10-04-2002, 03:45 PM

given the various hunting enviornments found across the country i would say that the 30-06 is the best all around caliber. i have shot antelope, muley, whitetail and elk with an old remmington of mine, some out as far as 500 yrds and some close as 50 yrds. the 30-06 has so many different factory loads they will match any situation.

savage arms offers a package deal consisting of new rifle, sling, hard case and scope for like $350.

Jason Root
Old 10-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know how much money you got, but if you have say, $300 or so to drop right now, consider doing something like this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976268697.htm

I'd get a used slug gun or a shotgun with a rifled barrel. Heck, I've seen new 870 express combos for cheap cheap cheap. It ain't sexy and you gotta take real good care of it (you should do that anyway), but it gives you a lot of flexibility and is an all around good bang (hehe) for the buck. You get a rifled deer slug gun (some hunting places will ONLY allow you to use slug guns) AND you get a turkey, dove, squirrel, grouse, etc., etc., gun.

Then for Christmas get yourself a sexy rifle. If you're big, consider getting a moose tagger that you can use for deer too. Remington makes excellent rifles (the 700 BDL line) that drive tacks right out of the box and that are not terribly expensive for what you get. You'll then have two guns that will allow you to hunt anything in North America.

If we're talking real cheap, like $80, then you gotta go used - REAL used, like pawn shop stuff. I've never bought anything from a pawn shop, but I suspect you've waited too late for that. Likely lots of guys are looking for guns for the upcoming season. But around April, just before taxes... (hehe)

Old 10-04-2002, 09:53 PM

I wouldn't trade my Savage .270 for a brand new anything. Save ya' bucks and buy a Savage in .270, .30-06 or a 7mm-08. All are good all around rounds. It'll cover just about anything up to as far as you need to shoot. I'll put my Savage up against anything out of the box for accuracy out there. You can't beat them period. I bought mine in SS for under $400. A blued one was about $350.
The Rem. and Win. are good don't get me wrong but my Savage will shoot just as good if not better.
The Mosin/Nagant 7.62x54R, British .303 and German 8mm are good but they'll kick the s--t out of ya'. Be especially careful buying them at gun show though. Alot have seen there better days and the rifling is shot, barrels rusted and worn out firing pins. Ya' get whatcha' pay for when ya' buy a rifle for $50. Go with the Savage, you won't be disappointed I promise you.

Weasel6
Old 10-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of good advice here, but since you're looking for ideas you may not have considered, I'll offer another one. Since you're getting a good rifle for X-mas, I'd consider getting a good 12 guage shotgun with a rifled deer barrel now. You'll never have a more versatile weapon...deer, turkey, ducks, squirrel, you name it, you can hunt it. There are millions of good used Remmingotn 870s out there and they are terrific guns. The first add-on barrel I bought for mine was a deer barrel with rifle sights, smooth bore, with a screw-in choke. I think it cost under $100 (several years ago). For years I put in a rifled choke for deer (shot a sabot slug) and a mod cyl choke for turkey. I love the rifle sights for turkey...much better than just a bead. Now I have a fully rifled deer barrel...but I still use the other one for turkey. And when I want to go for ducks I just pop on the original barrel the gun came with. You could probably get a good used 870 for $100 or less and the add-on barrel for under $150. Heck, you may already have a good shotgun and you could just buy the barrel I like mine for deer so much I've left my rifle in it's case for the last 8 years You will be AMAZED at the accuracy and knock-down power of this weapon/sabot slug combination. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New to hunting-Rifle question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.