Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do they need to move deer season back one month?

Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do they need to move deer season back one month?

No, I don't think that the season needs moving here in East Texas. I agree with Kevin, the rut is not dependant upon tempertures!
While it is usually very hot during bow season (October,) the rut is kicking into high gear during the last week of October! The best part of the rut is the last week of bow season, and the first week of gun season! The rut IS going to happen at this time in East Texas, EVERY year, give or take ONE week! Regardless of weather conditions!
So, at least here, the bow hunters get a peak week, and then the gun hunters get the rest of the rut. If bow season were moved to November, the gun hunters would miss out completly on the first rut! I think not!!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here In Ohio, the dates of bow run from October 1-January 31, gun season is usally the last week of November to the first week of December. The rut is usually winding down, however it depends on what kind of year we had(photoperiod) and such. I remember being the last day of gun season, and bucks(big bucks) still chasing does like ducks on june bugs!! Now it seems to be fizzled out, and the second week of November here is when its really peak of the rut, which its still bow season, and i got all these buck to myself!! Ohio is going to become as great as Minnesota and Iowa, watch and see.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wisconsin early archery dates are from Sept 17th - Nov 17th, Late season archery is from Nov 28th - Jan 3rd. I have NO complaints!!!!!! Gun is from Nov 19th - Nov 27th. I'll spend every second available to me in the woods hot or not!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM

Down here in South Florida we don't have a hard rut like you do up north. Deer breed all the way from June through December. It's not dependent so much on the heat as it is on the rain. Deer have adapted themselves to this local condition. Most of the fawns are born in Februarythrough May because that is our dry season (it is not good for very young deer to have to deal with flooding in the everglades as many, if not most, would die). Archery season starts in early September and lasts a month, then its Muzzleloader season in October and General Gun season starting in early November andending in early January. Archery is also permitted in Gun season, but not during Muzzleloader season.

It is only legal to shoot deer with antlers at least 5" above the hairline, and many bucks start shedding in December, so it wouldn't help a lot to move the season back. By mid to late January, most bucks have shed their antlers and would not be legal to shoot anyway.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

I think they should add a month at the end.