Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying familiar with your gun

Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Staying familiar with your gun

I also don't see reloading as a real cost saver. I don't reload for rifle or pistol but used to for shotgun, and I finally quit because the components got to a point that "production shells" were almost as cheap
You won't save money reloading, but you will shoot a LOT more for the same money. Shotshell loading is a world apart from handloading centerfire metalic cartridges. Learn to load gallery loads, often a round ball or light cast bullet over a samll charge quick burning powder. You can use your deer rifle for low cost, low noise practice.
Airguns, fired offhand, are a good way to stay in practice as well. Doesn't feel the same, of course, but rifle shooting is rifle shooting, for the most part. Don't get a cheapy smoothbore BB/pellet gun, get a decent spring piston rifle. GAMO has some for less than $100 that will work well for you. Look on the 'net.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Staying familiar with your gun

I've got to disagree on the cost savings. The last time I did the math on reloading my '06, The cost of components came to $7.20 a box. While you may be able to findcartridges close to that price on sale, I doubt they'd be taylor-made for your rifle.