Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATVs

Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Default ATVs

I was wondering what yall thought about the ATVs scaring deer away. I have used a ATV for only 2 seasons now with no real issues yet. All the guys on my lease us them and we kill a few deer every year but nothing huge. I was talking to a "old timer" that said he didnt allow ATVs on his lease because they spooked the deer away and would ruin the hunting as soon as the season opened. What do yall think about this??? I useually park about 2 miles from my stand and walk in, but the other guys on my lease park at the steps. and everyone kills something atleast every other season. so is it realy an issue?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATVs

i was talking to my negihbor today and he was talking about how he had parked like 50 yards from his stand and he arrowed a doe halfway between his stand and the atv. i guess it all depends on the deer and what they're used to.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:11 PM

like hunter said above. i think it depends on whether the deer are accustomed to hearing/ seeing atvs or not.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 PM
XTP

Last year I had a couple does standing no more than 10 yards from my parked ATV.....another one wouldn't come across the cut line because she saw it and didn't like it. On a different trail I came across a doe as she crossed the path...she trotted about 30 feet off the trail,stopped, and then came directly back to me for another look.I think they are like other vehicles...the deer really don't know what they are unless you get off it....then they recognise you...

Old 07-21-2005, 10:17 PM

yep I too believe it depends on what the deer are use too. everyone in my club thought I was crazy, I climbed up 20 yards off our main road. I watched everyone go by in the mornings and I saw a bunch of deer, I killed this one at 9:50 after two guys rode by at 9:00.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have personally killedseveral deer off my 4 wheeler and out of my Mule. I hunt a unique600 acre tract that has subdivisions on 3 sides and a creek bottom and railroad on the other side. My deer are used to human activity and don't pay much attention to ATVs (but when you step off, they are gone). I believe it depends on the place and the deer. If the only ATV activity the deer see is during hunting season, they are probably going to be very leary of them.But if youare on a place year around riding ATVs, then the deer willprobably never pay them any attention.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I THINK THIS IS A GREAT QUESTION. I HAVE HAD MOST EVERY ATV MADE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER FROM A HONDA TO AN ARGO AND I AM CONVINCED THEY DO SCARE BIG DEER AWAY. THE BIG BUCKS DO NOT GET BIG BY BEING STUPID AND I JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT WHEN THEY HEAR THAT NOISE IN THE WOODS OR FILEDS THAT ASSOCIATE THAT TO HUNTERS AND "DEAD" MEAT ... I HAVE WATCHED FROM A BLIND AS DEER FED IN A FIELD AND THEN RUN OUT AS THEY HEARD AN ATV APPROCHING ... I NOW USE AN ELECTRIC GOLF CART WITH A 5HP LOW TORQUE MOTOR AND I HAVE DROVE UP ON DEER SEVERAL TIMES...AND IT WILL CLIMB MOST ANYTHING A ATV WILL.... OF COURSE THIS IS JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION ..

DOC
Old 07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

We drive them around our place and the deer just stop and let us go by. We have shot/seen some nice 8 points on our place also and some times we park next to the blind. I think it depends on the deer, some deer are spookier than others and some think they are the biggest badest thing in the woods. I think the more activity there is on the property the spookier they will be, they will not stay if they get interupted all the time.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with most everyone above... It all depends on where you are hunting and how much "traffic" the area is used to having. I hunt spots that continually produce w/ my atv nearby... others I won't even bring it out...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

We use atv's exclusively to shuttle back and forth to our stands. Deer do not like them to say the least, but we still have a good harvest every year. I can certainly see where you would spook and never see the smartest of deer after riding through the area. I conciously keep the rpm's down to keep it as quite as possible, and park about 200 yds away from my stand in a clump of brush.

Quick Reply: ATVs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.