Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When Do You Start Scouting For Deer ?

Old 07-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Default RE: When Do You Start Scouting For Deer ?

Scouting, for me is technically year round, but some times are emphasised greater. he one time that is not good, IMO, is 4 or 5 weeks just before the season. You should mininmize the amount of pressure and scent left behind, and the 'stir' in the woods so as not to spook deer, or at best alarm them of your presence. If it is a property that you are familiar with, unless there has been some major changes, you should already have the stands selected and just scout/hunt as you begin your season. If it is new property, then I scout by way of maps, or terrain via a quick walk through looking for 'funnels, edges, and food sorces, before I look for 'sign'.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:06 PM

just like alot of the guys on here i scout year round i really dont worry about my scent cause i feel iam in there year round and there use to it, but i still take scent precautions
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Year round for me also.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with Stiper Phil. I really know my property very,very well. I just scout when I am hunting to see if anything has changed since last year. Most of the time its the same, i dont bag one on opening day, but the second week of November I know where the big boys are gonna be at. I take pics of what activity is going on as well.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

must be in good spot

Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

can you see him?? He is by the cedar

Old 07-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

a doe within range.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:06 PM

rile1564 and i spent 4 hours in the woods today checking spots out. we dont ever really stop, but we just intensify during july and august
Old 07-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

All year long as well. I scout from distance in July and August to minimize my effect on game. During this time I watch deer quality/numbers, food and water sources to determine my intialplans. Once I start hunting in Sept I continue to scout for changing patterns, etc throughout the season. My scouting for the following year starts where my season ended for the previous year. This timeI find particularily useful for gathering info on the deer, patterns and terrain by scouting in depth. I continue in depth scoutingthrough the winter months which is also the time I shed hunt, not really looking for trails but rather studying the land itself. Spring is spent checking what is going to be the food source hot spots for the upcoming year and if required more in depth scouting.

Because I hunt a number of areas and species not all get a ton of attention throughout the year but I try to make visits during these changing periods so I can gather info for the upcoming season. If not I will spent a few days prior to the hunt doing some serious scouting. The areas close to home see my tracks an aweful lot though