Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Old 07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

This question was asked of me a while back. It was asked by a non-hunter, not to be confusedwith an anti-hunter.

He asked in order to be successful we had to take the life of a living creature. If we liked to be successful, we then would have to like killing an animal. If we didn't like the killing part, we wouldtake up another activity.

No one would do something they didn't like to do, so if being successful means killing, then one must like the killing part.

I hope I explained this, I found it tough to explain, even tho I understand the question completely.

Forget about reducing the deer herd, helping control over population, etc....how would you answer this question? If you like to hunt, then you have to like killing? How could anyone like taking the life of one of God's creatures?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

I kill to eat meat..If I don't kill (for the meat) I support eating meat that was killed by someone else..
Killing to eat is a way of life..Not just for humans but for everything..
Deer kill plants to live....fish kill insects to live..We kill animals and plants to live..
Just a fact in the circle of life..
Old 07-01-2005, 10:29 AM

I don't like to kill.....never did and never will..............

I love to hunt.......killing is just the conclusion to a long journy
Old 07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Although to an outsider it does seem difficult to explain, I'll try. For me it's not a matter of liking to kill. I'd kill a lot more animals if i liked it. But in order to have been successful at hunting and bring home meat for the table you have to kill it. They are a handfull trying to wrestle them on to the grill while they are still alive. Seriously though, its not a matter of like or dislike, its more of it being an accepted fact and a nonemotional issue. Killing a deer/squirrel is 2nd nature. Yea there is that little adreniline rush, but that's all becuase you are hoping things work out and you are successful, not because you are excited something is going to die. The joy comes in the acomplishment, not in the death itself.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 AM

I would use the bible if they were believers (because you said "How could anyone like taking the life of one of God's creatures? ")

Acts 10:11-16
11and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12In it were all kinds of four footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat."
14But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean."
15And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common." 16This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

Genesis 27:1-5
1And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I.
2And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death:
3Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
4And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.
5And Rebekah heard when Isaac spake to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt for venison, and to bring it

Genesis 1:26-28
26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Here we see that the Lordput usover the animals they are ours to "kill and eat".
Old 07-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jimmy, maybe use the word "harvest" instead of "kill". It makes hunting more palitable to non-hunters and those who just don't understand.

Think about it this way. The non-hunter who thoroughly enjoys his steaks, chops and cheeseburgers must like killing the necesary animals, also. For he too is enjoying its meat. Right?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good replies....Matt, you're answer is closest to my feelings on the subject. We kill an animal while enjoying the actual hunt and we reap the benefits of the meat, We are very high in that chain of command.

For those non-hunters, if they like to wear those leather shoes, handbags, steaks,etc..they must at least acknowledge that a living creature had to die.

I see no difference.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 AM
XTP

hink about it this way. The non-hunter who thoroughly enjoys his steaks, chops and cheeseburgers must like killing the necesary animals, also. For he too is enjoying its meat. Right?

.......absolutely right.....its a common hypocrisy...people against hunting 'cause its mean.....(ever seen a pack of domestic dogs bring a deer down...[:'(]).......then go grab a steak for dinner ! I understand the question entirely though,because as a young child I asked it myself ! My older (....much,much older...LMAO..)..brother,who is a regular at church....told me the same thing..the animals were put here for people to use....he as well as many members of the church are avid hunters and fisherman ( we wouldn't want to forget the poor little fishies now would we....) .."have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
..I don't push hunting on non-hunters,but I believe in taking my own meat and that it is no different than going to the store and buying your steak there.The thousands of cattle that are slaughtered every day in our countries alone are also living creatures....born and raised to feed the ever growing population.How do they rate(morally...not taste..LOL)..any less than a deer,elk or moose ??
...ok..ok..I'll get off my soapbox now....but you asked..........
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope I explained this, I found it tough to explain, even tho I understand the question completely
We are a part of the life cycle of nature. In order to exist we must consume. The bible tells us

Acts 10:12-13 “Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter, kill, and eat."

Genesis 9 Verse 3 God said to Noah "All moving things that liveth shall be meat for you."
Genesis 27 Verse 3 "Now therefore take, I pray thee,thy weapons,THY QUIVER AND THY BOW,and go out to the field and take some venison."

I love animals as much as the next person. My dog is more spoiled than most people's children. I think of my pets as human and treat them accordingly BUT inorder for our existence to continue as it has we must rely on animals. The only difference between a non-hunter and myself is that I don't hire a hit man to do my dirty work. Just tell them that every time they buy a pair of leather shoes or a hamburger they are putting a contract out on a another animal.I kill animals because God put me here with the intention of me doing so.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 PM

i dont care if i kill anything at all, all season. I like the woods and love to be out there even in the 100+ degree heat we are currently having. Its peacefull and helps me get my mind off the CRAP in the city. I also dont kill for the trophy, i kill for the meat. I dont care if its a doe or a 20+pt buck, its gonna get eatn =)

Quick Reply: Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.