Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

An "old" Newbie

Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM

Default An "old" Newbie

Heya folks!

First off, great board been reading an learning already. I have a ferw questions, I am looking to get into Gun hunting deer here in Cn./No. California. I am 29 and have no hunting experience what so ever. I have no friends or family who hunt which limits my options of learning that way. I would love to have something to pass on to my son when he gets older as well as have something we can bond together over. I have found a Rod and Gun club in my area but havent had a chance to contact them as of yet. Will they be able to "teach" me to hun or atleast point me in the right driection, or get me in contact with some veteran hunters in my area willing to take a newbie like myself under their wing? I am not a cocky person but not a wall flower weither who is not afraid to introduce himself to people and ask questions...lol. I really want to learn to hunt "the right way" and learn all that I can. Like what kind of rifles are interchangable for different game for possible future hunts (what rifle would work fordeer, antelope, elk, etc.) I want to be a safe but efficent hunter that will enjoy all that hunting and nature has to offer. After some readingI am leaning to either a .243 or a 7mm-08 for my first rifle. Any and all input and information about anything related to hunting would be greatly appreciated and welcome! Thanks in advance!

Tommy
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Default RE: An "old" Newbie

7-08 sounds like a great choice, some people on this forum may say otherwise about the 243, light for elk but its a good choice as well. Id personally recomend a 270 or 30-06 for your list of critters. I am sure there are a few guys from up your way on this forum whod point you in the right direction. Another idea would be to call that rod and gun club and ask them if they dont mind taking on a newbie. Youd be suprised, people really enjoy teaching people things they love. Good luck to you and i hope you find huntin and fishin as awesome as I do.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think many folks on this forum can probably point you in the right direction when it comes to rifles. However, I am unsure how it is in your state but PA requires a basic hunter safety course before allowing you to purchase a licence. I would be willing to bet that you could learn a thing or two about the basics of hunting from that course. Hunting, like many other activities, is one of those things where hands on experience is priceless. We all started from scratch at some point in our lives so don't worry about making mistakes. Try to latch onto one of the friendlier folks from that gun club you mentioned and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and welcome to the sport.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Go up to that gun club and stay there for awhile. You will run into a ton of hunters, and many will be happy to point you in the right direction.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:11 PM

A rod and gun club is a great place to start!Attend their monthly meetings if you are able to and introduce yourself,any true sportsman or sportswoman will go out of their way to make you welcome and provide information as to the different elements involved in hunting.Enrolling in a hunters safety course is definitely a good idea for safety and familiarity and a good basis to begin your hunting knowledge.Read as much as you can about particular animals that you may be interested in hunting,there is a lot of very good information that can be gained through reading.Get out in the woods and cover some ground,be sure to be familiar with how to use a compass and map and or gps and go have fun,learn the woods and learn the ways of the animals that you have an interest in.Be patient with yourself it is going to take time,the great thing is that you are always learning it never ends.
As far as rifle selection get something that is fun to shoot,don't turn your self off by purchasing a gun that you don't enjoy shooting.If you speak to some people at the rod and gun club maybe you could arrange to meet them at the range and they would allow you to shoot some of their rifles.As you become more and more comfortable with a rifle you can work your way up to heavier calibers if desired.
Good luck to you!It's a great thing to participate in,I am sure you will meet some really fine people!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely joing that sportmans' club! Make some friends there and they will probably either give you good information or possibly take you hunting with them.

Even, if a hunter safety course is not required in your state, I would highly recommend taking one. I say this only because you have no hunting experience and this course is designed to "teach" you the guidelines, per se.