Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Knives

Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knives

really the only time i carry a pocket knife is when im hunting, fishing or up and my g-ma's and when im fishin i carry a leatherman tool
Old 06-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spikehorn. I have the SOG Seal Pup. I really like it. Its light Strong and very sharp.

I like the Buck Lite knives as well and carry two during big game season. A good knife is a tool I use a lot. However if I am not hunting, then I am fishing. Or getting ready to do one or the other.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

In my truck I always have my skinning knives, which I got about 7 years ago from Buckmasters. Double sheath, w/drop point blade and the other is the skinner w/guthook. In my business they get used alot. Also in the truck are a Gerber (leatherman style) and a mini Winchester (leatherman style) which is garbage, but may do in a pinch. On my hip is always my folding Gerber and in my pocket a smaller folding Gerber. When working, I also have either my Gerber Limbsaw and branch nippers, or from our newest sponsor, my Outdoor Edge Limbsaw.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the Gerber tool as well. If I am doing heavier work the Gerber is a sturdier tool. The leatherman is a bit lighter to carry fishing which I do a lot.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Every day knife is a Leatherman Wave and my granddad's pocket folder with a clip and spay blade.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spikehorn, I have the BK&T Campanion. It's a great knife, will hold an edge for a long time, but is not light. Last year I field dressed 4 deer and skinned 3 before it would not strop back to shaving sharp. When hunting, I carry it and a Gerber multi-tool. When camping, I add an axe to the combination.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I carry a Puma ...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not in the house, I've got a knife on me. Everyone should.
Different knife for the occaision. I've been carrying a Buck Cross
Lock w/ 3-1/2" drop point blade and a flat tip/chisel blade w/ strap
cutter. It's kind of big but I like it. For lighter carry maby a Bear
hunter w/ 3" damascus blade stag handle or Case trapper also damascus
or Case canoe w/ bone handle and SS blades. I also like a good
multi-tool knife like a swiss army type for outdoors work and play.
I've heard it said and believe,
a gentleman should always carry a knife.

PKnTX
Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM

I carry a Gerber medium sized multi-tool all the time. I've carried some sort of knife evry day since I was in elementary school. Used to carry either Case stockman's knife, or a small Gerber lockblade, but the multitool has them beat for my purposes.
My hunter is a Green River medium butcher for heavy use, and a Green River ripper for all other uses. Green River blades are inexpensive, they hold an edge better than any stainless blade I have ever used, and they have a full tang. Very tough to beat.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a knife 24/7/365. My current knife of choice is a Benchmade AFCK (full size) black blade and non serrated. My sons both also carry Benchmade AFCK's but the smaller size.

Quick Reply: Knives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.