Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Since I hunt New England, mostly Maine/NH, we don't seem to have the deer numbers other states/province have.

If I hunt for a week straight, I'll probably average seeing deer 2-3 days at best. I know friends that have hunted an entire season and not seen a single deer.

For those folks that see deer every time they go out, does seeing, hunting deer lose anything? I guess what I'm saying, to us, it can be a big deal even seeing a young doe.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Jimmy, you're missing all the fun Bro, come on down!
We kill Doe's just for breakfest, the Buck's for the racks.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel..Thanks buddy!
I wouldn't know what to do if I saw deer every day...
Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy I hunt NH mostly and seeing 3-5 a year is a good year.

I also go to PA for a week in bow season. When we started down there we would see 8-10 a day at least. Now its more like NH

anyway, no it doesn't get old, its fun watching the deer interact. It was nothing to have 5-10 deer around you at a time. It is very educational to watch them interact and very challenging to get off a shot with that many there.

Its fun!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Yes, it does. This year to make it more exciting my neighbor (Baldman on this forum) and I are hunting with muzzle loaders. It's just too easy with a modern centerfire rifle.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob:
Jimmy I hunt NH mostly and seeing 3-5 a year is a good year.
Bob, I agree 100% but to me it would lose some sense of accomplishment if I knew sooner or later I would shoot a deer and do it every year. Boy, that's something we can't say hunting at home.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can speak to this I think. I grew up hunting in Vermont and was in the same boat as the other New Englanders. I would see 2-3 deer per week of hunting, and would only see one buck on average every 2 years, and they were mostly yearlings. I think I have only seen 2x bucks in my life in Vermont that were not yearlings and they were 2 year olds at best, and that is out of 8 seasons in Vermont. I have refined my hunting skills a lot since I was a kid, so during Vermont seasons I now see 1-2 deer per day on average, but maybe only one buck per week of hunting at most and they are still almost all 18 month bucks.

When in PA, I see an average of 5-10 deer per day, usually a half dozen 18-36 month old bucks per season (average 5-10 days per year) and average seeing 1x 3 1/2 year buck per season. I end up tagging a doe every year in PA, and usually end up with a shot at a 3 1/2 year buck every 2-3 years. I enjoy seeing that many deer, there are many times that I have a doe tag and don't shoot at them because I just don't feel like it and enjoy watching them instead, I do this because I know if I put the time in I will get a shot at one later in the season. I enjoy the hunting much more in PA than I do in Vermont but I will always continue to hunt in VT because of being in the woods I grew up in and being with good people. The hunting does not get old or boring when I see more deer, the opposite is probably true for me.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 AM

No it doesnt ever get old. I finally found a spot where i would see an average of about 8-11 deer a night. Although some of the same deer would come back on back to back nights. It gave me something to watch until the buck comes. Plus knowing all those deer are there means a buck is too. I love watching them and it excites me every time i get the chance to watch.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes and no. I hunt some places where there are tons of deer. I still don't think I see one EVERY time out. But to shoot a doe during an entire season, it's really not that big a deal. BUT there are some years where even though there are deer all over, I am still working hard to get that doe.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I'll tell you if it gets "Old" when I find a spot with that many deer.

Quick Reply: Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.