Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

I see deer just about everytime I go out here in PA and trust me when I see on that I want to pull that string back or put those cross hairs on, the old heart is beating a mile a minute...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Around my home range, I'll see an average of 5-6 deer per day, and I always considered that to be a sparse deer environment. I'm bemused to hear that so many of you have it even worse.

Of course, one week each year I venture across the state (MT) and then I really see the deer. I've been hunting there for three years now, and have never actually spent the entire allotted week because I have always filled my tags by then. In that country, I have seen as many as 13 whitetail bucks between dawn and 8 AM. I'd go kick the dog (actually the hotel guy's dog) if I saw fewer than 2 bucks in a day. Oh yeah, I don't count mule deer over there, if I did the counts would double.

That's some fun hunting, and no I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I mean, I watch three or four bucks tend scrapes each year. I see a fight or two, and I even saw a buck breed a doe (don't read that last bit if you're under 18). It's like a nature show, all day long. A typical day on stand would be 15 whitetails - 6 bucks, 20 muleys - 5 bucks, half a dozen coyotes, a dozen or so pheasants, and about 20,000 geese overhead (I tried to count one day and estimated 25,000). How could that possibly get boring?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't realize that in the northeast the deer numbers were so sparse. What factors contribute to this? Old growth forests with little food to offer? snow levels?
Thanks

I never get bored hunting. Cold, hot, tired, sweaty, anxious, and excited, but not bored. Probably see a few more animals than you guys from the north east. Observing the workings of nature can never get old. Dealing with humans---that can get old.
hb
Old 05-25-2005, 03:05 PM

I thought it was sparse in South Florida, but it isn't as bad as all that. I might only see 3 to 5 shooters in a season, but I usually see 3 to 5 does a day. We can't shoot does down here so they are only for entertainment. But I enjoy watching any kind of deer do what deer do.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 PM

Well I don't hunt in one of those places that full of deer, but I have shot a lot. While it don't exactly get old, you'll find yourself wanting to get closer.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:40 PM

My friend had a doe tag a few years back and saw a nice 8 mount a doe at about 30 yards. At least he had the decency to wait till the buck "finished" before he blistered em both.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:26 PM

I guess if I ever get to the point where I'm tired of seeing deer, it's time to find a new sport.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We aren’t as fortunate in seeing an abundance of deer where we hunt. Some year are better then others but in general we are lucky if we see 2 or 3 deer a day and that would be a very good day. I would have to say that seeing plenty of deer during hunting season would not get old but interesting. The day that it gets old would be the day I would pack it in.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:54 PM

hunting will never get old for me i see a good amount of deer myself
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

well i dont know about the rest of the Nth east but for PA, we started a deer management plan a few years ago.. and as you can tell just on this post PA has a lot of hot and cold areas.. the hot spots are mostly around the 2 big cities and also private land in the state that doesnt have many hunters hunting it.. the good thing about PA is we have a lot of public land to hunt than most states, but when the plan started the does got hit really hard in some areas so its really tough hunting.. put that w/ the things you have stated like some areas that need timbered and sometimes the snow and w/ one million hunters in PA alone, it tends to hurt the herd in a lot of areas.. but then there are areas around pittsburgh or some private farm land that people see 100 deer a day.. so its pretty crazy here..

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

I didn't realize that in the northeast the deer numbers were so sparse. What factors contribute to this? Old growth forests with little food to offer? snow levels?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Does it ever get "Old" hunting where there are tons of deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.